We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namche Bazaar..worth the trip~?

Which Lukla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
142 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Namche Bazaar..worth the trip~?

Hi All,

i am making my 1st ever trip to Kathmandu with my sister; just the two of us.

I was wondering if it is worth the trip to head to Namche Bazaar for the sake of taking the closest look at Everest "yea i mean not the closest per se" and also to experience Nepali's lifestyle up in the mountains.

I will be in Nepal for 11 days in November. Is this sufficient for a trip to cover Namche, Pokhara, Kathmandu?

I have a few questions regarding getting to Kathmandu - Lukla - Namche & vice versa

1. How do i book a return light from Kathmandu to Lukla? Ive checked out Yeti Air, Sita Air..none seem to do online booking.

2. How many recommended days for the whole leg & return for Namche? Ive read that there's small towns in between name Monjo Phakding that i can stay over for a day b4 continuing. Which do you recommend & for how long? We are both super unfit, we literally do no exercise & spend more like 12hrs sitting infront of the computer. So we are going to take it...as slow as possible.

3. Our trip stops at Namche Bazaar and back..do we need a porter? a guide? If so, where should i hire one. Im not too sure if porter is needed? I can forsee us carrying a camera and a thick jacket, and perhaps a down sleeve shirt? What is the "MUST BRING"?

Please advise

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Namche Bazaar..worth the trip~?

Agree entirely with Alanyeti, don't waste (not waste but you know what I mean!) days flying, trekking etc... just to get to Namche and see a little triangle peak poking over the top of other mountains. Even more you can lose days in Lukla waiting for a flight if the weather turns bad.

With only 11 days in Nepal, I would want to make the most of my time there. I would do an Everest flight, return to airport and fly to Pokhara. This is an amazing place that is well worth exploring and enjoying for some time, especially after the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu.

From Pokhara, get a car to Nayapul. Then for a small but beautiful walk, head to Tikhedunga for the night to experience small village life. This is an easy walk in and out over 2 days. I would think the walk to Ghandruk might be a bit tough given your level of fitness (or lack thereof!). It is all uphill and up a lot of steps.

Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Namche Bazaar..worth the trip~?

Wow guys, greatly appreciate the feedback; only had time to check back my post today.

Thank you for all the recommendation, will take my time to read thru & reconsider the various options highlighted by you guys!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Namche Bazaar..worth the trip~?

Hello Namaste and Greetings from Nepal

It is glad to know that you are interested for visiting Nepal for a Everest trek in November with your sister,

regarding to the your itinerary It looks fine, there is no problem. so if you want to book the flight ticket

for Lukla you need to book earlier because November is a peak season so you might not get a ticket

so you must booked your ticket earlier, and For Guide and potter, if you hire a guide and potter during your trek you will be 100% safety, if something happen during your trek, you will get a help from them. so better to hire a guide and potter. its a challenging trek, we can say that what will happen during your trek so better to be safe before your trip start. you can remember us if you need a good guide and potter.

Thank you

Friendship world trek

Nima.

14. Re: Namche Bazaar..worth the trip~?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 02, 2014