We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to Namche Bazar to Lukla / Flights in early October

Which Lukla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Time to Namche Bazar to Lukla / Flights in early October

Hi there

Does anyone know how long is the trek between Namche Bazar to Lukla.

Also, does anyone know what is the general likelihood of flight cancellations during early October for the Lukla to Kathmandu flight ? I hear that with the exception of a freak turn of the weather, early October should have relatively good flight conditions (????)

Thanks !!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Time to Namche Bazar to Lukla / Flights in early October

Hello Hisham M

I said no and i never suggest to do Namche bazzar to machermo In one day.

It might take 8-10 hours. you may do it.

Good Luck

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Time to Namche Bazar to Lukla / Flights in early October

Namche - Machhermo is doable in a day with altitude sickness risk. If you are sure that you won't get mountain sickness then you can proceed but as mentioned on previous post it's risky. The time depends on your level of fitness.

I personally recommend you to go higher slowly. If you do not have enough time then you can return back as fast as you can.

Good Luck!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Time to Namche Bazar to Lukla / Flights in early October

Thanks for the responses. I'm weighing it all up but it may be too much.

We will have been in Tibet for 9 days sleeping above 3500m and near tibetan Everest base camp. With only one night in Kathmandu before flying to lukla I'm hoping our acclimatisation will still be very good. But maybe not and maybe it's too rushed anyway.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Time to Namche Bazar to Lukla / Flights in early October

You're welcome!

Yeah, Namche - Machhermo in a day will be quite rush, you can go slowly when going up. When return back you won't have any problems at all. You can walk as much as you want and can.

Good Luck!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8,840 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Time to Namche Bazar to Lukla / Flights in early October

Hi

You will probably still be acclimatised after sleeping close to 5000m(?) with only one day in KTM. I have not seen much info about how long acclimatisation lasts. As always, it's a case of monitoring how you feel and reactiong to symptoms (descend, basically).

I think the walking time between NB and Macchermo is more like 10 - 12 but there are lodges before M at Lhafarma and Luza. Are you intending to trek straight from Lukla to NB?

scoodly

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Time to Namche Bazar to Lukla / Flights in early October

Thanks gents. I've read a lot of iteneraries and wanted to know if the times spent trekking per day were accurate. Most iteneraries put NB to Machhermo, at about 10-12 hours combined over two days.

scoodly... i was considering lukla to NB, but I don't think we'll do it. I'm still tossing up some options (I think you commented on my post a couple months back).

Basically, Im looking at:

Lukla to Monjo - somewhere a little north of NB - to Luza - back down over an alternative pass back to NM - to lukla. This appeals because of the mysterious alternative pass back to NM from Luza. This path is on 2 maps I have of the region, but I can't find any information on it from anyone. It goes to around 5000m and then comes back through a small valley closely surrounded by the mountains of the kumuche himal. I'd be wise to get a guide for that.

The other option would be more conventional, less mysterious, but guaranteed of great views...

Lukla to Monjo - Monjo to Thame (with lunch in NB) - Thame to Kongde - Kongde to Lukla (with one spare

day in there around Thame or Kongde for a day hike up one of the nearby accessible peaks)

Hisham

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8,840 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Time to Namche Bazar to Lukla / Flights in early October

Hi

Sorry, I don't remember your previous post. Nor do I know the route you mention but it sounds good, off the beaten path is often a good choice and I agree with getting a guide for something like that.

I thought I'd ask about Lukla to NB because many itineraries take two days so people donlt always know it's possible in a day (though AMS can be an issue) but you've got it covered.

Good luck.

scoodly

France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Time to Namche Bazar to Lukla / Flights in early October

Hi again,

I saw some pictures of Kongde in Flickr sometime ago and they were amazing. I haven't been to Kongde but it can be seen from Namche Bazaar. It seems to be a nice place. You can search in Flickr if you want to see some pictures. Reading some itineraries seems that from Kongde to can directly descent down without return back to Namche Bazaar again.

Good Luck!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,606 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Time to Namche Bazar to Lukla / Flights in early October

Machhermo is at an altitude of 4470m while Namche Bazaar is at 3440m – So you are if you are thinking of trekking this in a single day you are putting yourself at HUGE risk of AMS as normal reccomednded daily height gains above 3000m is between 300m and 500m per day (The lower figure being the least risk.)

More good info is available on this link

www.ismmed.org/index.php/prevention.html…

Best Regards

Rob

Edited: 2:29 am, August 01, 2013
Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Time to Namche Bazar to Lukla / Flights in early October

Hashim - though I have not done so myself, I have read about people doing Lukla - NB in one day.

NB to Machermo in 1 day would be doable IF you are properly acclimatised, if you are not then this would be extremely risky IMO. Bear in mind that AMS manifests itself some hours after too high a point has been reached - this is why people often/usually get sick/very sick at night, when descent if much more difficult.

I have trekked 4 times in the Everest region, 2 of those times was the 3 high passes trek. The last time I did this Dec 2010 - Jan 2011 when we were talking about alternative routes my guide said that he had heard that there IS a trail between the Gokyo valley and the Bhote Koshi valley (the Langden - Marulung - Thame etc valley) other than via Renjo La. However he has not done it, and when we were walking down to Thame (after crossing Renjo La) we looked briefly and from the other side (west side) of the valley at a couple of valleys heading into the Khumuche Himal area - from what little we could see, I can believe that they may well be routes through there.

However I suspect any such routes will only be used by climbers or the occasional trekker, and so the trail may well not be clear, could have landslipped in places and it would be very wise to have either a guide who really had done this route (and not just claimed to have done it), or very good, detailed maps, GPS etc. High remote areas such as this are not places to be getting lost, let alone injured, unless you want to become part of the scenery...

I heard from the owner of the Zamling (Jangling) lodge in NB that there are quite a number of "new" routes that could be developed for more adventurous trekkers - as with all things in Nepal, don't hold your breath though.