We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling Bandos- Life jackets

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling Bandos- Life jackets

Hi all,

We are going to bandos in a few weeks and I wonder whether anyone can help me

I am not a strong swimmer but I love snorkelling, but i read recently that Bandos just dump you in the middle of the sea during snorkelling trips without life jackets. I've been on many snorkelling trips in asia and providing free life jackets seem to be the norm over there. It seems that you can rent life jackets for $12 a day, I dunno it seems a bit mercenary to me.

Anyway does anyone know if this really is the case? And if so, does anyone know any good places that sells cheap life jackets?

Kuda Bandos
Other Outdoor Activities
Coral Bar & Lounge
Bars & Clubs, Country & Western Bars
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,826 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling Bandos- Life jackets

not specific to bandos .. but it seems that it would depend on the current you are snorkeling in . dropping someone in the middle of a strong current wearing a floatation device would sound like a merry game of catch when they are helplessly heading towards the general direction of the seychelles ..

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling Bandos- Life jackets

i have been to bandos three times. as the island is completelt surrounded by its own reef you can snorkel with hardly a wave. i am not a strong swimmer either and i have never has a problem off the beach or outside the reef. the sealife is brilliant everywhere. the easiest place to cross the reef is near the dive centre beside the sundowner bar. there is even a rope to pull yourself over the reef. enjoy relaxs have fun

Level Contributor
379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling Bandos- Life jackets

Hi athene_y,

I, too, am a keen snorkeller but not a strong swimmer. If you have room in your suitcase (and you will have, because you don't need half as many clothes as you think!) take your own floation vest. I have one we found on the internet made by Gul. It is 50 N and looks like a Kevlar vest - though luckily, not as heavy! I think it was about £20 - 25 and was worth every penny as I feel so much safer wearing it, plus I can clear my mask if necessary without worrying about drowning or (worse) kicking the coral by accident.

(Also, I'd rather be dragged off towards the Seychelles by the current with a floatation device than without!!)

Enjoy your holiday -

Abbi x

Level Contributor
630 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling Bandos- Life jackets

I would recommend buying your own inflatable vest - if you are not a good swimmer you may prefer to wear it for the 3 snorkelling sessions per day that you will be doing on Bandos. It has the most fabulous reef without any snorkelling trips and you will want to get out to the drop-off and snorkel in the deep pretty soon. The snorkelling vest folds up to next to nothing for packing away and you can buy them on the internet for about £24.

The dive shop at Bandos was very professional when I was there 2 years ago and I would be surprised if they were dropping people off in the sea without a vest if they needed one - but to be on the safe side take your own, I am sure you won't regret it.

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling Bandos- Life jackets

Hey all!

Many thanks for your replies!

I have bought a flotation vest now. It's all packed and ready for travel tomorrow!

Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling Bandos- Life jackets

Have just come back from Bandos, and can say that on the snorkelling trip my son used a flotation vest (stored in the boat) at no extra cost. You can hire them from the dive shop for $8/day if you need (he didn't as he's quite a good swimmer, but I felt better with him wearing one in the 'open sea').

7. Re: Snorkelling Bandos- Life jackets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 30, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Bandos
Recent Conversations