We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on sian kaan visit please

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
advice on sian kaan visit please

Hello world!

I am travelling to Mexico in Nov for 2 weeks. I have seen many different tours of Sian kaan reserve and wonder if anyone can offer advice on

who to go with, we prefer a small group or solo travel

which activities to include, there seem so many

would anyone advice 2 visits?

is punta allen separate as we have seen differing types of tour here, such as dolphin watching that are not included in sian kaan itinerary...

basically any advise on how we can get the very best out of this experience would be very welcome :)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on sian kaan visit please

Try using the search box and select "relevence by date" for posts.

Punta Allen is at the end of a very slow, very bad road. It will be a whole day affair. There are some accoms., restaurants and very few shops. The road down does offer spectular views of beach, ocean sides.as well as some "lagoon". We checked out some reef snorkel and dolphin viewing trips. Seemed reasonable but we ran out of time.

Edited: 5:35 pm, October 13, 2012
Mahahual,
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on sian kaan visit please

If you are interested in visiting the South End of the Sian Ka'an, the road is not so bad, but there are fewer services and no tours at this time, but you can hire a boat to take you out into the lagoon or snorkel a ship wreck. 2/3's of the way up, there is Punta Mostquitero Restaurant and they will also rent you a room - but only hammock sleeping. They do have a shower and flush toilet, however. Punta Herrera has a restaurant and one room that rents out. They are building a new place where up to 4 persons can spend the night - but that is not yet available. Traveling solo is the best idea. Stop in at Mayan Beach Garden Inn for information into the Southern End of the Sian Ka'an. To get the southern end, you must travel south to Mahahual and then north again. It's worth it - the solitude is breathtaking.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on sian kaan visit please

Wonderful Marcia, thank you for your reply. Im am very excited about my trip and think ill want to stay! thanks for the advice :)

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on sian kaan visit please

Lovetoholiday , will you be touring at different hotels or staying at one place ? I strongly suggest you have a look at Google earth to get a handle on the large time and distances being discussed . Also take note of how nuch jungle there is in the entire area to see with the Sian Kaan being just some more jungle and not neccessarily more pristeen or spectacular than other places along the way . I'm not saying the Sian Kaan isn't special and wild , I'm saying much of the whole area is special and wild and easier to get to . Those kayak tours would be memorable , I'm sure . Please be happy always

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on sian kaan visit please

Hi

Yes i am staying in one resort for two weeks, so wanted to escape the compound for a day or even over night. i will look at Google earth, that's a great suggestion and id not thought of that! I wish to kayak and have found some info on this, as well as snorkelling and also wild dolphin trips, its hard to work out what's achievable in a day trip and where the activities are best done. i love to be in the water and also be there at sunset and so many of the organised tours are too prescriptive in times and activities,

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on sian kaan visit please

Great thought Juan - things change and I know the road to PA is not good. Figure 2-3 hours for the 52 km between Tulum and PA. Not much to do in between.

Broxburn, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on sian kaan visit please

I would highly recommend touring Sian Ka'an with Sian Ka'an community tours. They are community based and the money raised supports the local community. We are just back from a tour with them. We were taken to the muyil ruins throught the jungle and then out on a boat through the lagoons and two canals. On the second canal we floated down with life jackets, then returned for a home made lunch which was delicious. The guides know the local area and lots about the ruins and environment surrounding them. I can't wait to go back.

Broxburn, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on sian kaan visit please

Forgot to mention the tours are small, only four on our tour. Here is their website: http://www.siankaantours.org/en

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on sian kaan visit please

If yopur interested make your reservations as the area is a Nationale Parque and therefore visitors are allowed in "limited" numbers.

10. Re: advice on sian kaan visit please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sian Ka'an