We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Kids to Sian Ka'an?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Portland, OR
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Kids to Sian Ka'an?

Does anyone having direct experience bringing children with them to explore Sian Ka'an? We will be traveling with kids ages; 3, 7, 8, and 10. We're researching taking the tour operated from the reserve center versus hiring our own guide and creating our own day trip.

Our kids are all fairly adventurous, focused and interested in nature. Even the 3-year-old is extremely even-keel and rarely has meltdowns. He has ridden surfboards with his dad and loves water of all kinds. However, I know this trip is far more of an adventure than most excursions and there would be no car or hotel to run to if any or all of the children cease to be into the experience.

If anyone can share their experience of exploring this area with children including; what ages, what activities you did, who you used as a guide (if any)...I would be most appreciative of any advice you could offer.

Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Kids to Sian Ka'an?

While we have no experience with kids at Sian Ka'an, we have been there and loved our tour. There were no kids when we went (group of 14 people total). You are correct, this is probably more of an adventure than your kids have experienced. To be honest, I think your 3 year old is to young for this trip and I would be nervous even with the 7 & 8 year old. Probably OK for the 10 year old.

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Kids to Sian Ka'an?

We took our two kids when they were 9 and 12 and had a fabulous trip. With 4 kids I think you need to consider your accommodations with care. We went "cabana rustic" but a place with a kitchen would have been nice. I think there are some nice vacation rental homes you may want to look into (www.vrbo.com or locogringo.com). You may consider making the north end of the sian your homebase or Tulum ---which is where you enter the reserve. Tulum offers accommodations for all travelers and the beaches are great! We were lucky enough to be there when the sea turtles came to shore to lay their eggs --- soooo cool. If you have 4 kids you know sunscreen, bug spray and a first aid kit (with benadryl etc.) are pretty much standard. Have fun!

Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Kids to Sian Ka'an?

With my own kids, we always wanted to make sure they could entertain themselves. The beach, swimming, snorkeling,eating, building sand castles and the rest. There might be quite a bit of booring stuff, and you don't want them cranky on the trip.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
Kensington, MD
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Kids to Sian Ka'an?

We brought our two girls - 7 and 9 - on a tour through Visit Sian Ka'an. All-in-all I think they enjoyed the tour and I expect we'll here about it for a long-time to come. Their favorite time, by far, was playing on the beach during a break in the middle.

We toured via a motorized boat. It was a windy day and the lagoon was very choppy. As a result, the ride was a pretty bumpy. This bothered our 7 year old a bit. We didn't sun screen enough, so they were really burnt at the end of the day. I think at the end of our 4 hour tour, the kids were probably ready to go back to the hotel. I wouldn't recommend a tour any longer than 4 hours.

The girls got to see a bunch of birds, a crocodile and some manatees. For an adult, this was all very cool. For kids used to going to the zoo, it might have been a little underwhelming. We probably could have done a better job setting expectations. I also think this is the kind of experience that will resonate more as they get older.

5. Re: Bringing Kids to Sian Ka'an?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 08, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Sian Ka'an