We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Flag days for jellyfish...hows it been?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Red Flag days for jellyfish...hows it been?

We are toying with the idea of travelling to Breezes again, it was a lovely resort, but we got into the water 1 day out of 7 so really weren't able to enjoy the snorkelling. How has it been for the folks who are there or just got back? We are looking at going around the 7th last minute travelling...thanks for any advice!

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,943 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Flag days for jellyfish...hows it been?

The best advice I can give you......and I have had a lot of trips to this area......is that it is unpredictable. What is happening right now isn't necessarily what you will find. I have seen perfect days with no PMOWs followed by scads of them, and vice versa.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Flag days for jellyfish...hows it been?

We so would like to try again, but I am very leery on spending this kind of money to go to a resort where we will not be able to snorkel again. Do you have any suggestions for equally nice snorkelling that is right off the resort on an all inclusive and less affected by PMOW? Could be other places besides Cuba. Thanks for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Ontario
Level Contributor
8,943 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Flag days for jellyfish...hows it been?

Have you considered Holguin? The Guardalavaca beaches are generally not affected by PMOWs, and there is decent snorkelling, although not as good as Jibacoa, IMO. If you are interested in Mexico, Akumal Beach is arguably in the same league as Jibacoa and has the added feature of sea turtles and lots of rays.

Lots of info......and a webcam......here:

locogringo.com/upload/akumal-beach-cam.html

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Akumal Beach
Akumal Beach
12,008 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Flag days for jellyfish...hows it been?

We have been to Holguin, stayed the first time at Blau and the second time at the Sol Rio, loved Sol Rio. Don't have direct flights there at the moment again from where we are. If we can find an option for Akumal that is affordable and in our timeline that may be where we go. Thanks for the thoughts!

Mentioned in this post
Blau Varadero Hotel
Blau Varadero Hotel
7,302 Reviews
Cuba
Calgary
Level Contributor
246 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Flag days for jellyfish...hows it been?

We were there from Dec 8-15th. And the ocean was very calm for 6 of the 7 days and never even saw 1 jellyfish. Last year we went at the same time and had 6.5 red flag days so it was a welcome sight. I enjoy the snorkelling and the diving off the beach at the resort and couldn't have asked for better conditions. I think it's just a hit and miss thing.

Hamilton Ontario
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Flag days for jellyfish...hows it been?

Oh eeeefarm...Akumal....one of the most wonderful beaches we have ever been too....one of the best days we have ever had, .turtles, barracuda, stingray, sand, sea...and a bar.....lol

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ontario
Level Contributor
8,943 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Flag days for jellyfish...hows it been?

Maybe this is unfair of me to post, but here's a link to the pictures I took at Akumal Beach Resort. A little dated, as it was in 2009.

…photobucket.com/user/…202009

And here's my last trip to Jibacoa, last April:

…photobucket.com/user/…202012

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Flag days for jellyfish...hows it been?

Omygosh! Eeeefarm, wish I could snorkel with you. I am no good at spotting all these fish. What kind of camera do you use? Are these pics from snorkeling or diving?

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,943 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red Flag days for jellyfish...hows it been?

All the pictures are from snorkelling. I am currently using a Canon D10, but the Akumal pictures were taken with my Olympus 790 SW, which was my first digital underwater camera.

Spotting fish is mostly luck and patience. Taking the time to see what is there, what might be "hiding", and waiting for the shy ones to come out where the light is good enough to get a shot of them. Often I will just get a glimpse of something, but if I hang around for awhile, sometimes I get lucky with a shot like this one:

…photobucket.com/albums/…01porcupinefish.jpg

Porcupine fish are shy. It took a while before this guy would pose for me. :-)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Red Flag days for jellyfish...hows it been?

I was at CVJ next door to Brezzes between Dec 07 and Dec 21. There weren't any Man of War. There were some red flag days due to excessive wind. I would estimate out of 14 days, seven days were excellent for snorkelling. The other seven were either red flagged or the visibility was too poor for my liking.

Some days were exceptional.

Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz del Norte