We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy to Get Around in Mrauk U?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Easy to Get Around in Mrauk U?

I will be traveling with my mother and we will spend 4 days in Mrauk U. Is it the situation in that town similar to Bagan, with ample taxis and horsecarts to hire to get around? Riding a bicycle is always a good option for me, but woudl be out of the question for my mother. I was also interested in heading out to see the Chin Villages but hear from several friends who have been that it is akin to seeing the long-necked people at Inle. If it is like that(i.e. a human zoo, tourists going to gawk at locals), I wish to avoid it entirely. Please advise.

yangon
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy to Get Around in Mrauk U?

Hello, there

4 days is quite ok to visit around Mrauk U and plus three chin villages. I dont think there are horsecarts like Bagan there, But you can get motor taxi. some hotels can arange for car or motor cycle. The temples and pagodas are very different from those in Bagan. But In chin Village , they are not longnecked woman but tatooed woman.the excursion is so nice to those chin villages. Dont worry about visiiting chin village. they are kind and you can take photo with them.

Enjoy Mrauk-U

Edited: 1:13 am, June 01, 2011
yangon
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy to Get Around in Mrauk U?

Chin village is No human zoo , it is by nature .

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,156 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy to Get Around in Mrauk U?

Did you know this is coming up on the Mergui forum - about as far as you can get by water from Mrauk-U !!

I am sure you will still get all the info you you need as your heading is self explanatory.

SS

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy to Get Around in Mrauk U?

Silver-

I expressly posted this on the Mrauk U forums, must've been a glitch in the system! :-o

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy to Get Around in Mrauk U?

I think you local people posting on the forum, no offense, do not understand what I mean by "human zoo". Of course the people are nto displayed in cages for all to see as in a zoo with animals, but some tourists feel they are, as people go over there to point their huge lenses in their faces and snap pictures. That is exactly what I do not want to do. (And I would hate for someone to do that to me!)

I would like to hear the impressions foreign visitors got from the place, as all of you local tour guides are certain to recommend it...

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy to Get Around in Mrauk U?

I know exactly what you are getting at Maneki-neko and am just as interested as you are in the responses that you get. I've yet to visit, but would avoid like the plague if it is as you suggest. You indicate that the tribal villages around Inle Lake are like this, which has horrified me. Is it really that touristy?? A photograph is worth nothing if it has simply become a tourist set-up.

Sue

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy to Get Around in Mrauk U?

Sue-

While I am an avid photogrpaher yet one thing I have never come to enjoy is sticking my telephoto lens in people's faces. I simply refuse to do that. The long-necked tribe area is a serious tourist trap, from what my friends have told me, and if the same goes for the Chin villages, I will forego that as well.

In regards to villages, I have been visiting many very rural villages in many parts of Southeast Asia for over 20 years now, so unless that area has some unusual & spectacular scenery, I will give it a miss and concentrate on seeing the temples and town area instead.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
380 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy to Get Around in Mrauk U?

Hi Maneki-

You bring up a good point. The very thing that makes these people beautiful and their culture unique, once brought to the world's attention, often is harmful to their own way of life.

I did use a guide that spends quite a bit of time in Mrauk U, he is a very nice, considerate young man. He takes responsible tourism to a new level. He forms real friendships with many different tribes. If you want to ask him -I would be glad to give you the contact info. I am sure he would give you an honest answer. I have some great memories because of him.

I am hoping to visit again in 2012.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy to Get Around in Mrauk U?

So what exactly was the feel for visiting the Chin Villages though? Was it to just go gawk at people? If that is the case I will just choose to spend my 3 days there seeing the temples.

yangon
Destination Expert
for Bagan
Level Contributor
557 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easy to Get Around in Mrauk U?

Please consider Myanmar is the the lowest tourist arrival comparing to the region of SE Asia. Country wide is twice of Vietnam.

So for sure is less of tourist trap and make up attraction site.

There are many opportunity to see the real way life of Chin people. Moreover , Rakhine , Khame and Thet tribe.

MraukU is totally differ from Bagan plain and temples ad old city is surrounded by hills and creeks and moors. Almost all are constructed by sand stone .

One of the interesting temple is Dokkan Thein where you can discover of Rakhine period typical hair styles and design on interior wall.

The old city is related on trade with Portuguese .

You can reach there by flight Yangon to Sittwe and 6 hours boat trip.

Get answers to your questions about Myeik (Mergui...
More Myeik (Mergui) Archipelago Topics