We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monkey Island worth a 2 hr drive to get to?

carlsbad
11 posts
Save Topic
Monkey Island worth a 2 hr drive to get to?

We are staying at Breezes and planning to hire a private driver to go see Monkey Island. Monkey Island is 2 hrs away from our hotel...that is 4 hrs of driving...we want our boys to experience the Panama Canal and figure this tour add more fun to it. But all the driving time plus expense, $150 rt for driver plus $50 each for tour, lunch, and tipping seems like a lot of money and time for a tour that seems to get mixed reviews. Any other suggestion for a tour with kids for Panama Canal? We have been to Costa Rica several times and have seen plenty of Howler Monkeys!

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monkey Island worth a 2 hr drive to get to?

That is definitely a problem when you stay out in the middle of nowhere. Breezes is JUST the beach, nothing close by, and if you enjoy only the beach it is a good vacation. But everything else is so far away from there.

We loved monkey island, but were staying in PC so it was just a short drive to go there.

Also, you may make a plan and take the drive and it may be pouring rain at Gamboa and they may not even go on the boat to the island. The weather at Gamboa (rain forest) may be totally different from where you are staying in the dry arc (Breezes). When we went to monkey island in the AM, the AM part of our trip was cancelled because it was a torrential downpour and we just sat in the lobby and waited, hoping the rain would clear.

Well after sitting all morning, and we had lunch and the weather had cleared, so we went to monkey island.

On the actual monkey island we only saw howler monkeys from far away, but the island inself was very interesting and you take a short walk on it.

BUT the boat ride next to the huge boats in the canal was awesome. AND

the boat pulled up to a couple of places where little monkeys could be seen on the shore of the island and we fed them. One even boarded our boat.

So it was a great experience for us and one children would delight in, I am sure.

However, I would not like the long ride to and from and the waiting if the weather is bad, especially with little ones. Hope this helps.

carlsbad
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Monkey Island worth a 2 hr drive to get to?

Thank you!

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
222 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monkey Island worth a 2 hr drive to get to?

When we stayed at Gamboa we did enjoy the trip to Monkey Island and being on the river with big boats, and though I enjoyed it, I would not think it was worth going out your way time/money wise (as you would need to) in order to visit, especially as they have seen wild monkeys before. You all might enjoy a visit to the Miraflores locks to see the canal in action as big boats pass through, I don't know if that excursion is offered at your hotel or if you could schedule time at the start or finish of your trip to make a couple hours stop there between hotel-airport.

carlsbad
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Monkey Island worth a 2 hr drive to get to?

Thank you! That is exactly what we are doing. Actually arriving tomorrow am and arranged a private driver to take us around city for a little bit and Miraflores. Then off to Breezes....It should be interesting after a red-eye flight, but being with a private guide and driver should be fine. Thanks again!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Monkey Island worth a 2 hr drive to get to?

who are you using as your private driver?? and how were they!!!!!!!!!! I'll be heading there in a few weeks and am interested in a guide / driver ,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks P.J.

6. Re: Monkey Island worth a 2 hr drive to get to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:27 am, January 26, 2011