We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort question - Koukounaries

Lincoln
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Resort question - Koukounaries

Hi All,

I recently made a post in here regarding taxi's and got many really helpful replies, so was just hoping to ask for a bit more information if possible.

I've been doing lots of reading on Skiathos, and Koukounaries in particular as this is where we are booked to stay in July. I just have a slight concern that the resort doesn't seem to be very big at all? I love quieter resorts, we usually visit Pefkos on Rhodes, but why are there only 6 restaurants listed on here for Koukounaries? Is this really all there is to choose from?

I can't seem to find a decent resort map anywhere online to have a look that's all. I was hoping there might be a bit more to the area than 6 restaurants i guess?

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Koukounaries Beach
Koukounaries Beach
2,464 Reviews
Skiathos, Greece
Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,486 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort question - Koukounaries

Thats about it, but the reason you stay there, is that it is quiet, and has easy access to the islands best beaches.

Go to the Skiathos Forum - Top questions about Skiathos (Top Right of page) The links there may help ...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g189499-i809-Ski…

Edited: 8:00 am, April 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort question - Koukounaries

Koukounaris is basically one long road! The restuarants,hotels,bars are all spaced out over several hundred yards or more. It is very quiet but you have the easy access of several fabulous beaches. If you want a livelier night just hop on the bus into town,Best place to catch the bus is in Kouk!!!

The restuarants in Kouk are all lovely and being there you get the best of both worlds -quiet or busy!!!

We have stay in Kouk several times,always enjoyed it.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort question - Koukounaries

The bus to Skiathos Town takes about 30 minutes, and passengers from Koukounaris get first dibs on the seats. When I was on Skiathos I stayed at Troulos, and found myself taking the bus to Koukounaris in the mornings and Skiathos Town in the evenings. By the time the bus got to Troulos it was sometimes full.

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos Town
Skiathos Town
Skiathos, Greece
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort question - Koukounaries

Dear Rob M,

We have stayed in Koukounaries many times over the years (in the Magda and Panos apartments). Our favourite tavern's are :-

Ilias Orchard (locally known as the "Runway")...Traditional and family run

Strofilia...Italian influenced but beautifully set out in the open air gardens

Muses Hotel.......Traditional Greek food and probably our favourite place

Big Bad Wolf.........basic Greek Food set for us too near the main road

Golden Beach Hotel.....again basic Greek traditional dishes but caters for kids as well i.e. Pizza's etc

Panorama.....rather over rated and expensive

Mandraki Village Boutique Hotel......food is excellent, very posh for koukounaries...HOWEVER....the rudest head waiter ruined it for us

Augustera Bar and Taverna.... We drink there but have never eaten...however it has a good reputation for good basic dishes/pizza's

Stamelos Bar and Taverna.....this is split between a traditional Greek Taverna and a Chinese restuarant

There are other taverna's we have not used due to bad reviews from other people staying at the apartments we have stayed at:-

Captain Michaels

Sunset apartments/Nuala tavern

Georges Restaurant

It is a small resort spread over 500-700 metres. If you get bored with the ones in Koukounaries, then get on the bus and try the ones at Troulos (x10), Aghia Paresekavi (x14).....etc

Kindest regards

Rhombus

Mentioned in this post
Koukounaries Beach
Koukounaries Beach
2,464 Reviews
Skiathos, Greece
Ilias Orchard
Ilias Orchard
220 Reviews
Skiathos, Greece
Muses Hotel
Muses Hotel
261 Reviews
Skiathos, Greece
The Big bad Wolf
The Big bad Wolf
942 Reviews
Skiathos, Greece
Mandraki Village Boutique Hotel
Mandraki Village...
394 Reviews
Skiathos, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,480 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort question - Koukounaries

That is about it for Koukounaries. It is very small just one side of the road behind the lake. I would not even call it a resort, more a spread out little collection of tourist accommodation and tavernas.

The only village is Skiathos town, I always stay there because it just so much more interesting in the evening. A plethora of tavernas in various locations and bars, harbours etc. it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned, a really easy choice.

Pefkos is now a much larger resort than Koukounaries by a long way.

It is easy to suss this out by using Google Earth/Maps if you don't know.

Mentioned in this post
Koukounaries Beach
Koukounaries Beach
2,464 Reviews
Skiathos, Greece
Pefkos
Pefkos
Rhodes, Greece
Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort question - Koukounaries

Hi, we're goin pefkos for 2 wks in aug, n I do know what u mean, I luv pefkos..

However we went to skiathos at the end of may last year, stayed at myrtia summer village in kouk, yes it is small in comparison too pefkos but it really was fantastic, one of the best holidays we've had.. It is just a main strip with a handful of bars/ restaurants n shops and the skiathos town easily accessible by bus, kouk beach was lovely too..

Will definately be hopin to return one day.. X

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort question - Koukounaries

Richard's Google Earth map shows some details - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms…

I've checked my Skiathos SkyMap from last year and that doesnt show much more in the way of eating places.

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort question - Koukounaries

advice please , we too are looking at this area, but also Kanpitsa, is there any bars restaurants, shops in this area.

Edited: 12:04 pm, April 08, 2013
Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort question - Koukounaries

Hi Becky7Derbyshire. The above map shows quite a few places in that resort. Scroll down the list until you find the green pin for Kanapitsa and double click!

Phil

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,480 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort question - Koukounaries

Becky7Derbyshire

Kanapitsa is even smaller than Koukounaries it is just one taverna/beach and the Plaza Hotel and some villas dotted along the roads.

Even bringing in nearby areas of Tzaneria beach/taverna, Kolios and Vromolimnos does not make it a resort.

Nice in the day for the beaches and so on, but the evenings are very limited.

Usefully you have the taxi boats to Skiathos town thus avoiding the Classic stuffed to the roof Bus.

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos Town
Skiathos Town
Skiathos, Greece
Get answers to your questions about Koukounaries
Recent Conversations