We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Complimentary drink end of meals

Leeds
Level Contributor
511 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Complimentary drink end of meals

When we have been to many greek islands in the past quite a lot of tavernas tended to give a free drink at the end of the meal ie small tot metaxa, ouzo, cherry like drink etc.

Just wondered if this is common practice on Skiathos or perhaps with the economic crisis this no longer happens. Also wondered if many tavernas do fixed 2/3 course meals, especially interested in Koukanaries as that is where we are staying. It does not really matter if they do or not, although a nice touch it in no way will affect our holiday that`s for certain.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
927 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Complimentary drink end of meals

Lyhnari Restaurant gave us a tin of Olives after our second visit, not to mention the complimentary dessert, Oozo, Bread and Dips.

Highly recommended.

Edited: 10:29 am, June 02, 2012
East Grinstead
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Complimentary drink end of meals

Been here since Saturday and we have received a complimentary drink in every taverna we have visited so far. One also supplied little non alcoholic ones for my daughters, another also gave us free deserts.

Leeds
Level Contributor
511 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Complimentary drink end of meals

Is that in Skiathos town or Koukanaries where we are staying. I thought perhaps as Koukanaries has fewer tavernas there is less need to do this as they have more of a monopoly whereas there will be lots of tavernas in Skiathos town. I always think it is a nice touch when they do this as it rerally makes you feel that your custom is valued.

East Grinstead
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Complimentary drink end of meals

We had free drinks in Koukanaries and Skiathos Town. Won't we able to try this evening though as it has just started raining!

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Complimentary drink end of meals

Just back from a lovely 2 weeks in Koukounaries. Our favourite restaurant is Ilias Orchard commonly known as the runway restaurant. They always give you a mini magnum ice cream. We once had a brandy at Muses, Stamelos gave a Limoncello, and also a comlimentary jug of iced water with lemon. Captain Michalis always gives a pernod type drink. Big Bad Wolf also gives a shot. We also ate at Kostiakis in town and always had an extra small jug of wine free and the carrot topped yogurt, which is delicious!

Portions are always big so we usually shared a starter then had our main meal and a litre of the house wine - costs ranged between 26 and 32 euros for two so we felt it was very reasonable and the food was without exception, always very good.

Have a great time

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Complimentary drink end of meals

Just got back from Koukounaries, no free drinks on offer from either Stamelos or Captain Michalis. Captain Michalis served us the worst food I have ever had in Greece - and I've had some pretty bad stuff! Don't go anywhere near it - a litre of free drinks wouldn't make that place ok.

Leeds
Level Contributor
511 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Complimentary drink end of meals

When we were there in June we got a freebie at every place apart from Big Bad Wolf and Stamelos. Having said that the food was good so di not deter us from eating there. Shame about Captain Michalis as we had 2 good meals there but did find that he tried to push the fish dishes at us when we clearly did not want them. Suppose each restaurant has their `off` days.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Complimentary drink end of meals

I guess in August they don't have to try so hard...especially when the buses are so packed in the evening that you couldn't get into town! But I don't believe this was an 'off' day - the food was a disgrace, as we informed them. Full review to follow shortly!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
753 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Complimentary drink end of meals

In Skiathos at the moment, we haven't had any free drinks just free desserts such as Greek yoghurt and melon.

20. Re: Complimentary drink end of meals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Koukounaries
Recent Conversations