We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boat taxis/trips vasiliki..or ag yiannis??????

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
boat taxis/trips vasiliki..or ag yiannis??????

I am looking into booking a holiday to lefkada for August.. we have three children, and the villas I have shortlisted are 2...one in the north, near AG Yiannis and the other in Vasiliki. So I am a bit stuck.. I think the vasiliki has a few..location advantages, eg boat trip to Ithaka, near Syvota etc. Also near Egremni and Porto Katsiki, which I would love to go to...but way too many steps for us..esp me (smoker!!) and the little ones. Do boat taxis leave Vasiliki for Porto Katsiki and Egremni- but then you can stay and swim there for the day? Dont want a cruise that gives you 45 minutes before sailing off.. And are these 2 beaches safe for children anyway? They can all swim decently well, but I dont know if there are strong currents..

Thanks- need to decide soon as whole trip is a logistical project out of hell!! (And I risk getting shouted by husband if I choose wrong part of the island!!!!!!!!!!)

UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boat taxis/trips vasiliki..or ag yiannis??????

Vasiliki has more options for you if you don't have a hire car: plenty of boat trips, water sports, a lively village, also buses to other parts of the island. Ag. Yiannis isn't really a village, there are some nice tavernas but it's all rather scattered, and there are no organized excursions or boat trips from there -- it's beautiful, but I'd say you really need a car, and then the whole island is yours to explore!

Can't answer your specific questions about boats from Vasiliki to Egremni, I know there are day-trip boats there but not sure if any are the taxi-boat type that leave you there for the day. Maybe someone else can answer that. I do know there are frequent taxi-boats from Vasiliki to the small but lovely Agiofili beach, ideal for you but sure to be crowded in August as it's so small.

Porto Katsiki is OK for kids provided they can swim, it shelves very steeply so is difficult for tiny ones or non-swimmers, but the water is usually calm and safe. It's pebbly, so take swimming shoes. Egremni is vast, but how safe it is will depend on the day, as it can get very rough on that coast; as for currents even on calm days, I couldn't say as I don't have the local knowledge on that beach (those steps!!). For really safe swimming, I'd recommend the east coast every time -- the beaches there are not so spectacular, but you still have beautiful views.

Hope this helps a bit, and maybe Vic or someone else can provide the details that you need. Good luck!

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: boat taxis/trips vasiliki..or ag yiannis??????

Thanks Kyklamina, that's really helpful, I do appreciate yor advice and I will take it on board!!

Do you happen to know how long it would take on a hire car to get from Vasiliki to Ag Ioannis and to Karya?

I think Vasiliki would be a great base but would like to get a taste of the whole island, as it looks so beautiful and varied?

And also, as we would be travelling from Athens..the buses from Athens to Lefkas seem the best option, can you prebook tickets on them?

UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boat taxis/trips vasiliki..or ag yiannis??????

Yes, you definitely must explore the island a bit!!

By car from Vasiliki to Ag. Ioannis would be an hour, maybe an hour and a quarter, if you go the main-road way, i.e. up the east coast through Nidri and Lygia, then turn left before reaching Lefkada town -- or go through town and on round the lagoon, slightly further but easier to find!

The western route (Agios Petros, Hortata, Kalamitsi, skirting Agios Nikitas, and down towards Lefkada town) looks shorter on the map but is a much slower road, so probably takes about the same time. It's a wonderful day trip to go all the way round, go up the West coast first, to Lefkada town, then back down the east coast (the easier drive when you're tired) -- quite a long day if you have lots of stops, but a great way to see the island.

The idea of Vasiliki to Karya has me scratching my head to figure out the best route (as the old joke goes, "If I were you I wouldn't start from here"!). The easiest driving (by far) would be up the east coast through Nidri, almost all the way to Lefkada town, then turn left and up the main road to Karya. So I'd guess about an hour and a quarter. Other routes are narrow, winding, steep, sometimes hairy, but with excellent views if you like that kind of thing! Karya is definitely worth a visit if you can.

Those times are assuming you don't stop for coffee, icecream, a swim, photographs, etc etc!

But even if you only have a car for part of your stay and don't want to spend all day driving, there are lots of beautiful places to explore closer to Vassiliki -- the villages of Sivros and Vournikas in the mountains are easy to get to, you can go on up to Agios Ilias if your nerve holds (hairpins!!), or Syvota on the coast is a very easy drive. To name but a few!

Athens to Lefkada bus: Yes, you can pre-book seats, but only (as far as I know) by phone -- nothing much happens online yet in Greece!. The number for the Lefkada bus company's Athens office is +30 210 5150108, and someone will speak English -- if they don't, try again later. To get the bus in Athens, you want the Kifissos Bus Station. Definitely worth pre-booking for your Athens to Lefkada trip. When you get to Lefkada, you'll arrive at the main bus station, from where you can get a bus to Vassiliki; the number for the Lefkada bus station is 30 26450 22364. The www.lefkas.net website has lots of info on buses etc, take a look at http://www.lefkas.net/fromathens.htm and then go to the "Information" section.

4. Re: boat taxis/trips vasiliki..or ag yiannis??????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, August 31, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Vasiliki
Recent Conversations