We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am returning to holidaying in Greece after a long absense

Which Troulos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I am returning to holidaying in Greece after a long absense

Hi

I am returning to holidaying in Greece after a long absense, (the drachma was the currency last time I went), and after a long time searching for just what I wanted I finally founf it in Troulos.

I do have some questions though -

i) How much can I expect to pay for a two course meal ?

ii) I adore "village wine", is it served in the restaurants in Troulos ?

iii) How much is a beer these days ?

iv) Car Hire what is the rough cost of hiring a small car (per day) ?

v) and am I better hiring in Troulos or in Skiathos Town ?

vi) I understand there are various boat trips from Skiathos Town but how much are they, and which are the best ?

vii) My wife want to visit the MAMA MIA church in Skopolos, is it easy to get to ?

I know my questions are mainly cost related, but I need to undestand how much money to bring with me

regards

FatGod !!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am returning to holidaying in Greece after a long absense

i) Pub grub prices.

ii) Most places will serve 'house wine' in the usual copper coloured mug thingys half the price of the 'proper' bottled stuff.

iii) Vaguely ~2.50 € upwards for 500g. Or ~1.20 € for a supermarket tinnie.

iv) v) Pass.

vi) vii) Arghh no, yawn .... DIY way - You can take a ferry to Loutraki(Glossa) ~7€, bus up to one stop past Glossa ~2€ and walk about an hour to Ag. Ioannis then come back to Loutraki(Glossa), roughly 1½hr, and then a later ferry. The brackets for Glossa is because ferries are listed as such.

http://www.gtp.gr

Obviously Excursion boats will have cashed in on the 'yawn' theme so something will be available. Probably easiest to walk along the excursion boat harbour in Skiathos town for days/ times/ prices.

The round the island boat trip is worthwhile early on so you get an overview of the coast so you can return by other means.

Lincoln, UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am returning to holidaying in Greece after a long absense

Hi Fatgod

1. About €30 with a couple of drinks.

2. House wine is available everywhere.

3. €2.50 for a small bottle, €3.00 for a large I think.

4. Victoria Car Rental in Troulos is doing 7 days for the price of 5 for an air-conditioned Suzuki Jimny jeep at the end of June for €260.00 if you book in advance. They are situated next to the petrol station. E-mail Nikos Pappas at vicpap74@yahoo.gr for a quote. There is no deposit he just needs your flight number to confirm a booking.

5. See above, but there are a few others, i.e. Mustang Car Rental in town.

6. All trips originate from the Old Harbour in town and can be booked if your in town in the evening when there is nearly always someone next to the boats taking bookings. Not sure on the cost or which one is the best (the wife doesn't like boats!).

7. I'm not sure if the tourist boats stop to get off and see the Mamma Mia church, but some may go past it. Ferry across to Skopelos (Glossa), but not sure of the sailing times, a bus and a bit of a walk will get you there. Sit on the left of the aircraft and you will see Skopelos just before you land and you can see it from there too. We flew right over it last year. There used to be a trip especially for Mamma Mia enthusiasts, not sure if its still running though.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am returning to holidaying in Greece after a long absense

We spent much less than we expected last year after not going abroad for 4 years. My friend spent more than us on a camping holiday to France and she only ate out once, we ate out every night! You will have a fantastic time......I have started counting the weeks down now!!!

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am returning to holidaying in Greece after a long absense

FatG, I visited the Mamma Mia church 2 years ago. We took a taxi from Glossa and arranged for him to pick us back up after an hour or so to give us time to climb to the top and look around for a few minutes (he actually waited in his car on the road). We agreed on a price ahead of time and I believe it was around 20 Euros. Very reasonable. It's a hike up those steps to the church, and the church is nothing like what was in the movie. Just wanted you to know that ahead of time so you don't get surprised when you see the itsy bitsy church on top. :) Have a great trip!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,270 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am returning to holidaying in Greece after a long absense

There was me thinking everyone knew the inside of the church was a film set.

It is quite a climb but many people get excited, that they have followed in the footsteps of the actors and actresses. Its well worth the trip to see a little piece of Greece, that you would otherwise have passed by.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am returning to holidaying in Greece after a long absense

A BIG thankyou to everybody that replied, I had forgotten about the aluminium jugs the wine is served in, and I know thet I am going to enjoy myself.

Any other tips for a Skiathos first timer ?

7. Re: I am returning to holidaying in Greece after a long absense

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, October 02, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Troulos
Recent Conversations