We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money for 2 weeks

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Spending money for 2 weeks

My family, me, hubbie & 2 kids 12 & 9 going Alykanas in May SC for 2 weeks. I have been told by another traveller they spent £1200 in a week. Is this about right? Apparently it is really expensive. Would appreciate feedback as need to start saving!!!

Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money for 2 weeks

We went to Alykanas last September for a week and didn't find it any more expensive than any other Greek resort to eat,drink and beach sunbeds etc. However car hire was much more expensive than what we paid in Pefkos in June. It was like there was a shortage of hire cars so they could charge what they wanted. Alykanas is a lovely resort the beach is amazing, really shallow and warm. Have a great holiday

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money for 2 weeks

I haven't been to Greece for 25 years so haven't got anything to compare it with. We won't be hiring a car so that side of things won't affect us. We normally go to Majorca but fancied a change and liked the reviews on Alykanas. In Majorca we normally spend around £1000 a week but always thought Greece was cheaper. Oh well looks like I'm out of touch!!! Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money for 2 weeks

I think you will find that Zakynthos is cheaper than Majorca. Generally for 2 people an evening meal with drinks will cost between 25-30 euros. It's probably the ice creams, soft drinks and crisps that can add up to quite a bit.

Mentioned in this post
Zakynthos
Zakynthos
Ionian Islands, Greece
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Cullompton, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money for 2 weeks

The "other traveller" must've really pushed the boat out.....£1200 for a week works out to more than €200 a day!

The three of us have a very comfortable holiday for half that daily rate......some days we might spend more but then a quiet day by the beach, simple lunch on the balcony and an evening meal with a few drinks and you've only spent €50/60.

Car hire would not be included in that though, and we don't do organised excursions because we prefer the DIY version (ie drive in random direction, get lost, find somewhere nice, get lost again before finally stumbling across a familiar spot). If you're adding them on you may need a bit more, though prices in May will be much better than they would be in peak season.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
610 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money for 2 weeks

£1000 should be more than enough. At current rates it's €170 a day. A late breakfast or a lunch won't cost more than €6 each and evening meal at €10-15 a head on average. Leaving more than enough for drinks and ice cream

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money for 2 weeks

Thank you all for your help. You've put my mind at rest - I was getting into a bit of a panic thinking how expensive it is there. We are so looking forward to it and we all love our food and particularly looking forward to trying some good Greek food!!!

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending money for 2 weeks

Thank you all for your help. You've put my mind at rest - I was getting into a bit of a panic thinking how expensive it is there. We are so looking forward to it and we all love our food and particularly looking forward to trying some good Greek food!!!

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,502 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending money for 2 weeks

To put your mind even more at rest Zakinthos is one of the best value for money Greek islands as far as spends go and the exchange rate is not bad either.

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending money for 2 weeks

Thank you

hull
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending money for 2 weeks

I spent 74 euros per day last year (I'm a Chartered Accountant and that is pin point accurate), that was from waking to going to bed, I smoked 20 cigs per day, had drinks all day on the beach 5 pints an ouzo or two and similar in wines and soft drinks for the Mrs and some times food, the bill was always 30ish. At night the meal for 2 with 1/2 litre of wine and 2 pints of lager was 20/25euros, sun beds at Neraida were 3 each.

Edited: 5:32 pm, February 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Alykanas