We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pestered by beach sellers ?????

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Pestered by beach sellers ?????

Hi in Alykanas last year the beach area was inundated with various people trying to sell CDs,watches,sunglasses,DVDs,handbags,gold type jewellery etc realize everyone has to make a living but some of these guys won't take no for an answer....not good for my husband's blood pressure.Try and politely refuse them,numerous times and in fact one lady was so pestered she sent her husband up to their room to get money whilst the handbag seller waited,does anyone know if this will be the case this year or any tips on how to avoid them thanks ?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,117 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pestered by beach sellers ?????

Is this the norm in Zakynthos? It's something I associate with Spain and Portugal, never Greece (apart from a doughnut man!!)

UK
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pestered by beach sellers ?????

There are bound to be a few about, they've been there for years so I don't think this year will be any different. I must say that we've never been unduly bothered by them & I always find that, as you say, a polite but firm no thanks always does the trick. If they seem too persistant just lie back on the sunbed & close your eyes & don't engage with them & they'll move on. Its a mistake to show any kind of interest if you don't want to be bothered & you certainly shouldn't feel pressurised into buying anything you don't want. If it gets bad just completely ignore them & they'll get the message. They have to be a bit more persistant these days but that doesn't mean they should be able to bug you & its not really in their own interest to upset anyone.

Level Contributor
402 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pestered by beach sellers ?????

Was same last year in argassi they were pain ken in rezemmoes chased one last year who kept pestering drinkers

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,665 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pestered by beach sellers ?????

If you want to see beach sellers then Goa's the place, Alykanas with it's few beach sellers are is a quiet village shop in comparison l.o.l. and they take no for an answer l.o.l. !!!!!!!

Edited: 12:44 pm, April 16, 2012
Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pestered by beach sellers ?????

They're not half as bad as other countries i've been to. Most will leave you alone after a polite "No Thanks". I just say no thanks then put my head back down on sunbed and close my eyes, they've always walk away.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
361 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pestered by beach sellers ?????

Was offered a full body massage on Old Aykanas beach by a young woman last year (was just negotiating a price when the wife appeared curse her! (-;)....but other than that nothing. So if it bothers then maybe try a quieter beach.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pestered by beach sellers ?????

Definitely do as Kev says, polite no thanks, then back to sunbathing. Never engage in conversation with them or you'll never get rid of them and they'll come back every day.

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pestered by beach sellers ?????

An earlier poster mentioned the lookey lookey men at Remezzos.Call me strange but i look foreward to the cd and dvd sellers.Some real charecters and never offencive and allways polite.As given to the dvd sellers a polite no thank you to the watch,picture sunglass sellers seems to me to do the trick.I allways have a couple of back massages whilst in Argassi.So to me it is something i want but not everybody.I visited Alykanas for the afternoon last year and the Thai massage was very populer with the holidaymakers.If you want real hassle go to naama bay,sharm el sheik.They are relentless and chase you over the road and swear and are very abusive.It actually puts peaple of returning.I will look forward to the lookey lookey men in may when i return to Zante.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pestered by beach sellers ?????

Whenever i encounter these sellers i find a firm "No thanks" followed by breaking off eye contact seems to work, they have never seemed overly pushy and just wander off to try their luck elsewhere. I've got no problem with them, as long as they are polite so am I.

Stu

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pestered by beach sellers ?????

I agree with Pete & AlfaUK. All of the cd etc sellers I've seen are pretty well ok. If you don't want anything just say no thanks & get back to sunbathing. Most of the ones I've seen at remezzos are OK, in fact we usually have a "broken" conversation & a laugh & joke with acouple of them. There are a couple that just stand there when you say no but it doesn't take them long to get the message (or maybe I just look like a tightfisted ba**ard ) & they move along. I've never seen them chased from Remezzos during the day but Stam won't let them approach people in the dining area, especially at night.

Now the flower sellers are a completely different thing!!!

Get answers to your questions about Alykanas