We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips - Recommendations Please?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips - Recommendations Please?

I'm visiting Alykanas for a week in mid July with my Dad (mid 60's) and son (5). My son is keen to go on a boat trip and I'd rather book this through local providers than through the travel company. Can anyone recommend some good day trips (not just boat trips) and local contacts please? An idea of prices would be helpful too. Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Alykanas
Alykanas
Zakynthos, Greece
Poole, UK
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Day Trips - Recommendations Please?

I was lucky enough to meet a really helpful professional tour guide, called Helen, who provides wonderful excursions to all the "hidden gems" of the island I wouldn't have found otherwise. Her knowledge of the island is fantastic, and I would have missed out on so much, had it not been for the various tours that Helen took me on.

She also took me on some great boat trips.

Her rates are very reasonable, given that petrol is currently £1.38 a litre on the island! They range between 15 and 30 Euros, for a half day and full day excursion, per person, respectively.

So, I thoroughly recommend Zakynthos, and suggest that, if you decide to visit, you forget about trying to cope with the bad drivers and roads, contact Helen (helldream53@hotmail.com) and and let her do your driving!

Folkestone
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day Trips - Recommendations Please?

Golden Dolphin based in Alykes and Alykanas do boat trips to the Blue Caves and Shipwreck at very reasonable prices. Small 20 seater speedboat - your son will love it. Much better than the monstrous tour boats the big operators will put you on.

Not sure about other trips, we used the local buses and hired a vehicle to get around and explore the island a little bit. Turtle trips are best done from Keri or even Laganas (the only good reason to venture into Laganas in my book)

Edit re the above post -I found Zakynthian roads and drivers (barring the taxi-drivers) to be fine, much better than Cretan drivers and roads circa 10 years ago anyway. So much of the traffic are hire cars in the season that I think the locals have got used to taking it easy.

Edited: 10:48 am, July 31, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Alykes
Alykes
Zakynthos, Greece
Alykanas
Alykanas
Zakynthos, Greece
Blue Caves
Blue Caves
1,225 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
Laganas
Laganas
Zakynthos, Greece
CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,937 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day Trips - Recommendations Please?

Original question poster has already been on holiday but useful information for others anyway.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Day Trips - Recommendations Please?

I've linked it the top questions section as its a useful thread

15. Re: Day Trips - Recommendations Please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 28, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Alykanas