We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh veg in restaurants

Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh veg in restaurants

We have stayed in Zakynthos three times and love it but never in Alykanas. We've noticed that most restaurants serve fresh food but some serve frozen veg which we hate. Can anyone recommend restaurants that only serve fresh veg or let me know of restaurants that serve frozen veg so we can avoid them? Many thanks.

9 replies to this topic
CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
7,204 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh veg in restaurants

The "Briam" served in the Cosy Corner always consists of fresh vegetables. I think the tinned carrots, peas, sweet corn, etc served in many places are used purely for speed and convenience.

Edited: 8:11 am, November 05, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh veg in restaurants

Seasons have to do with it, if you go in the middle of winter then you would have to tolerate frozen or canned for some vegs.

In the summer, I have never been served canned or frozen.

I did notice that on the menu in some restaurants they do identify with a star frozen sea food vs fresh.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
441 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh veg in restaurants

Greengrocer in the centre of the village does a roaring trade and has expanded over the years, lovely stuff that we use ourselves on occasions we "self cater". It's never crossed my mind that any of the veg there could be frozen, possibly (like Mondeo suggests) they might use a few tinned peas or sweetcorn to add to the rice that comes with some dishes for convenience but I'd say that's as far as it goes.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
779 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh veg in restaurants

I’m like Michael, and don’t recall seeing many tinned or frozen vegetables. Many places also make ‘proper’ chips from those lovely potatoes, and I always ask if they use frozen chips, and that’s when I order the equally yummy Greek roast potatoes!

( Incidentally, Ammoudi Tavern say on the menu if the fish is fresh or frozen. Himself’s favourite grilled sole ( frozen) is always top notch.)

Edited: 7:19 am, November 07, 2017
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
441 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh veg in restaurants

I always specify Greek potatoes rather than chips Mharie, so much nicer. When we first started going 15/16 years ago there wasn't a chip in sight in A/A, now they seem to be the "default" option which I think is sad but it's obviously driven by what customers want. Shoestrings also specified what fish was fresh and what was frozen last year, not printed on the menu but verbally when they handed it to you and told you the day's specials.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh veg in restaurants

Hello all! Sorry to wade in on this thread, whereabouts is the greengrocer & which days are they open please? Might be an idea to visit as a self catering newbie? I'm staying near Dannys trying to keep costs low... Is it nearby? Great info guys thank you :-)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
779 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh veg in restaurants

In this video, you’ll see the road up to Danny’s on the right hand side at around 30 seconds. It’s just a couple of minutes to Danny’s. Greengrocer’s is at about 1 minute on the video.

https://youtu.be/-re6zD_v3l0

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh veg in restaurants

The greengrocers is open every day until late. Come out of Danny's, turn left to the end of the road, turn right and it's probably 200-300 yards on your right (just past Catacombes bar that you will see up some steps)

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Fresh veg in restaurants

Mharie & iluvzante - a very delayed thank you for the greengrocer pointers! Still sussing out this whole forum malarkey & forgot to tick 'notify by email' thanks again!!

Reply to: Fresh veg in restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alykanas
Recent Conversations