We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alykanas: End of October

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
323 reviews
Save Topic
Alykanas: End of October

We are very excited to have booked to revisit Zakynthos, but are staying in Alykanas this time (have stayed in Tsilivi before and Laganas many moons ago!) Travel this time will be an adventure for us because we are introducing our 9 week old baby to the delights of travel! We arrive for a week on the 19th October, so the weather will be cooler and the resort quieter.

Can anyone recommend any restaurants that will still be open that offer great Greek food?

Are there any small supermarkets where we can purchase baby essentials (should we need them), wine and snacks for our apartment?

Will the sea temperature still be ok for a dip?

Any nice bars that'll be open in the evening for a cheeky drink?

We might hire a car, so any recommendations on reputable companies that will provide a rear facing car seat for baby?

We are really looking forward to it, have wanted to stay in Alykanas for sometime!

Mentioned in this post
Zakynthos
Zakynthos
Ionian Islands, Greece
Alykanas
Alykanas
Zakynthos, Greece
Tsilivi
Tsilivi
Zakynthos, Greece
Laganas
Laganas
Zakynthos, Greece
7 replies to this topic
CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alykanas: End of October

There's an excellent well stocked supermarket on the Alykes end of the main village road lots of baby products here too, it's called 'Market Express' a chain of supermarkets found on the island that are open year round. The Valais hotel and bar will still be open as will the CUBA bar and also the 'Roadhouse' diner with a great menu. The Roadhouse is on the main village road as you enter from the airport direction. Other places that will still be open are the Golden Dragon / Taj Mahal which is a combined Chinese Indian restaurant, also the 'Mantelena taverna' again on the main village road. Between Alykanas and very nearby Alykes there will be enough places still open to eat and have a drink in different places every night during a week's stay. The sea although a bit cooler should still be fine for a swim. The weather can be very hit n miss so late in the Season when it can be gloomy and raining but when the sun is out it will still be sunbathing weather but evenings then will be chilly, fingers crossed for good weather. As for car hire the several companies throughout the two mentioned villages will have baby seats and so late in the Season some savvy haggling with cash will bring you bargain rates for car hire, enjoy.

Edited: 5:20 am, September 26, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Alykes
Alykes
Zakynthos, Greece
Valais Hotel
Valais Hotel
260 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
Alykanas
Alykanas
Zakynthos, Greece
London
Level Contributor
59 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alykanas: End of October

That's all so helpful; thank you so much. Are there any restaurants near Danny's that we shouldn't miss?

Mentioned in this post
Danny's Hotel
Danny's Hotel
675 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alykanas: End of October

If they are still open so late in the Season the 'VRISAKI' Taverna directly opposite Danny's main entrance is the best Taverna in the whole resort.

Mentioned in this post
Danny's Hotel
Danny's Hotel
675 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alykanas: End of October

If there are enough people around George will keep Vrisaki open. Last year he kept extending the closure date and was still open when we left around 13th so you may be lucky.

Mentioned in this post
Vrisaki
Vrisaki
648 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
London
Level Contributor
59 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alykanas: End of October

Is anyone in resort now, who knows if Vrisaki's is still open and if so, when they plan to close?

Weather looks decent according to Accuweather. Roll on Thursday!

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alykanas: End of October

We’re going this October from the 14th, what will there be to do as taking my 18yr old niece with us. Was the restaurant still open then when u went last year at this time?

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alykanas: End of October

I also will be back in October and I have just returned with a small baby so I completely understand your needs.

Letsos seemed to be cheapest for nappies (although they are very expensive there - in every supermarket) they also do milk there also (powdered) they dont have aptamil/etc like we have but they do offer alternatives. My little one had to have it near to the end of the week as we ran out.

Everywhere I found to be great with high chairs although i think your little one will still be too small at only 9 weeks.

If you need any advice on where to go etc with a baby just let me know.

There are also pharmacies and A and E's on the main street so you wont have to go far should you need any advice over there for her.

I also took liquid paracetamol - as they can get sore heads with the heat.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Letsos
Hotel Letsos
812 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
Reply to: Alykanas: End of October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alykanas