We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport Heraklion Airport to Cretan Dream Royal Hote

Which Stalos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
8 posts
Save Topic
airport Heraklion Airport to Cretan Dream Royal Hote

We are due to fly into Heraklion Airport in July and are booked to stay at the Cretan Dream Royal Hotel. Unfortunately we did not realise that it is a two hour trip from one to the other . We really don't want to hire a car. We aren't on a package deal and taxis we have tried to book online are asking for up to 300 Euros !Help please Any ideas or suggestions?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport Heraklion Airport to Cretan Dream Royal Hote

Hi there, to save money I could suggest that you get a local bus from the airport to Heraklion bus station. There are fast, comfortable coaches that then run along the E65 via Rethymno, where we have stayed for several years to at least Chania, which we have visited twice. I would think you can then get to the hotel from there either by local bus or taxi. Its a lot more hassle than a direct taxi but likely to be much cheaper.

Good luck, its a fantastic island I can assure you.

Rob

Edited: 7:17 pm, January 09, 2011
Paris, France
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: airport Heraklion Airport to Cretan Dream Royal Hote

Thanks for the info. i know we arrive late around 22h.30 do you think the buses finish early in the summer??

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport Heraklion Airport to Cretan Dream Royal Hote

Hi there

The last bus from Iraklion bus station to Rethymno departs at 2100 hours so well before you are even due to land I'm afraid. So, you have four possibilities.

1. Take a late night cab to your hotel

2. Have a rental car waiting at the airport for you

3. Book one night's accommodation in Iraklion then take the bus to Rethymno the following morning, early buses depart at 0530, 0630, then every hour on the half hour

4. Contact your hotel in Rethymno and ask them if they can provide a resort hoppa or a favourable taxi rate for the transfer.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airport Heraklion Airport to Cretan Dream Royal Hote

This may be a problem as they do not run at night. The timetable for buses from Heraklion to Chania is bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetable.php.

The local buses from the airport to Heraklion City run much more regularly but I guess by the time you arrive, go through customs and pick up bags it will be near midnight so apart from hiring a car, you may find you will need to just hang on until the 1st bus out of Heraklion - sorry. Another contributor may have a better idea but I can't really think of another way to avoid the taxi fare I am afraid.

Paris, France
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: airport Heraklion Airport to Cretan Dream Royal Hote

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my query, it looks as if i will have to start saving to pay the extra. i will be more vigilant next time!!

thanks again

Could anyone tell me if the car rental companies are more or less honest traders over in Crete , i have already had problems-when renting a car at an airport before.Though never in Crete having never visited the country.

Edited: 7:49 am, January 10, 2011
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airport Heraklion Airport to Cretan Dream Royal Hote

Hi again

Well, I have rented cars all over Crete and never had a problem although you do sometimes read on here of visitors who have been duped with a crappy car or charged extra for non-existent damage. I always think it's best to leave the car booking until you arrive - you can then see the car, make a note of any damage, and most importantly, ensure its the model or class that you want.

I ALWAYS pay by cash - that way, the renters don't have my credit card details if they then decided to charge extra to my card. Check the car before you drive away, make a note of any damage and if possible, take a photo of it.

Paris, France
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: airport Heraklion Airport to Cretan Dream Royal Hote

Thank you for your time in replying, this is all very useful info !! Thanks again.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airport Heraklion Airport to Cretan Dream Royal Hote

You're welcome.

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
652 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airport Heraklion Airport to Cretan Dream Royal Hote

I also recomend renting a car. Just drive carefully from Heraklio. There is no real danger, but western Europeans are not used to driving on roads with many curbs and no lights. Its easier and cheaper than you think!

Paris, France
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: airport Heraklion Airport to Cretan Dream Royal Hote

Thank you for your post, we have reserved a car, seems the easiest ' (well cheapest way)

Get answers to your questions about Stalos