We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Place to Run from Alfagar Apartments?

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe Place to Run from Alfagar Apartments?

Looking forward to staying at Alfagar Apartments fortnight in August. The complex doesn’t appear to have a daytime sports programme or a gym , which doesn’t worry me as I’d rather get out in the fresh air & enjoy a run to earn my dinner & evening drinks anyway – it looks beautiful round there.

Is there a good 5/6km route, late afternoon 5-6pm when it’s a bit cooler, directly from the apartments? I was thinking instead of heading out left towards Santa Eualia & the town, I’d turn right and run along the main road towards the Intermarche at Olhos De Agua and either continue as it bends left inland or go down Rua Torre da Medronheira , towards the coast, then run back as it’s a dead end.

Is it very hilly? Safe trafficwise? Okay to run alone? Is there a better, greener route? Not a fan of beach running, prefer firmer surface. I’ll be doing those 150 steps down to the beach a few times daily so probably want to avoid those in case I wear them out !!!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,845 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Place to Run from Alfagar Apartments?

"Is it very hilly? Safe trafficwise? Okay to run alone? Is there a better, greener route? Not a fan of beach running, prefer firmer surface. I’ll be doing those 150 steps down to the beach a few times daily so probably"

Hilly - a bit but not too taxing for anyone even half fit.

Traffic - busy roads all the way and rotten pavements all full of holes and things to trip over.

Running alone? You won't be alone except very early in the morning.

Greener route? Cross the road from Alfagar and run up through the Balaia Golf Village resort to the main road at the other end and then come back or turn right, go through the little village of Branqueira to the Vale Navio roundabout, turn right again and follow that road back down. It comes out about 500 yards east of Alfagar. Mostly along much quieter roads and you can safely run along the road rather than risk the dodgy pavements.

Edited: 6:42 am, June 03, 2014
Manchester UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Place to Run from Alfagar Apartments?

Thanks so much. You've saved me getting hopelessly lost and/or falling down a pothole!

You sold the greener route to me...I had wondered about running up near Golf Village resort but worried it'd be private and out of bounds to non residents.

It's perfect! Cannot wait!!! Thanks again :-)

3. Re: Safe Place to Run from Alfagar Apartments?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 05, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Olhos de Agua