We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange Money and Tabac Shops

Which Olhos de Agua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange Money and Tabac Shops

Where would be the best place to change money in Olhos de Agua and are there any Tabac shops or would we have to go to Albufeira.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,681 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange Money and Tabac Shops

There are exchange shops in Olhos D'Agua. They all offer the same rate to within a cent or two so it's not really worth trekking all over the place. Banks do not change money here. You will though get a better rate for your £ if you change your money before coming here. Having said that, beware of carting great wads of cash around.

There are no Tabac shops as such here. Off licences sell in bulk or individually, small supermarkets have counters for small purchases but as a rule large supermarkets don't sell. Olhos D'Agua has several suitable shops. The price for tobacco products is the same everywhere.

Thrapston, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange Money and Tabac Shops

The best place we found in olhos for ciggies amd baccy was a little gift shop/offy type shop,on the right hand side of the road as you head down to the beach, just before the carpark entrance, they take euro's or sterling. Hope this helps.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange Money and Tabac Shops

Thank you both for your replies, appreciate it.

Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange Money and Tabac Shops

Lusitana garrafeira lovely little shop in olhos they sell cigs, cigars, port etc, its situated along the same road as the chinese shop, its opposite a restaurant but cant remember the name, where bout are u staying in olhos?

Edited: 4:04 pm, March 11, 2014
Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange Money and Tabac Shops

We are saying at the Oceanus. We would normally get hubby's cigs in the Tabac shop but as its our first time to Portugal I thought I would check. I noticed in an earlier post someone said they just use the ATM to change money and that made me wonder. In most places we have been before we would normally change money at the places where you book excursions they usually have Exchange counters. I am glad we asked as normally you would get a better rate in resort, so that was quite unusual.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange Money and Tabac Shops

Lusitana Garrafeira... https://www.facebook.com/lusitana.garrafeira

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,681 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange Money and Tabac Shops

"use the ATM to change money"

Certainly. It is a lot safer than having a stack of money in your wallet or hotel room waiting to be lost or stolen.

Even once you have calculated bank charges for the privilege of taking cash from Portuguese ATM's, you will get a rate of exchange comparable to the change shops. One thing is not to take out small amounts eg €50 as the fixed cost (if there is one) makes a dent in that rate.

Friends of mine who come here regularly use a prepaid Caxton Fx Euro card which has no charges for withdrawals. They also spend a lot of time in France, so it comes in very useful there as well.

Many of the change shops also act as ticket shops for excursions etc. In Albufeira most of the shops are owned by the same company, so the rate is always the same.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange Money and Tabac Shops

If you go into Albufeira old town, check here.

http://www.jimmystobaccoalbufeira.com/

9. Re: Exchange Money and Tabac Shops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, March 21, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Olhos de Agua
Recent Conversations