We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car, moped, or quad?

Seymour, Connecticut
Level Contributor
82 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Car, moped, or quad?

My fiance and I are going to be staying on Naxos from starting on August 13th and leaving on August 20th for part of our honey. We are staying in a studio at the Coralli Beach Apartments. I'd appreciate any feedback on the place if anyone has stayed there. Obviously, we would like to tour the island, but we're not sure what would be best to rent. Can anyone provide me with some advice. We're both about 30, and we we're thinking that either a quad or 2 mopeds would be the most fun.

Also, our flight to return the U.S.A leaves on early on Sunday August 21st. What would be best, taking a ferry back to Athens or a flight?

Thanks so much for any help/advice that anyone can provide.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Coralli Beach Apartments
Coralli Beach Apartments
161 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
16 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
153 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

The beaches are great, and the car is perfect for exploring the rest of the island, which is also amazing. The other side of the island has some very isolated beaches. The middle of the island, not too far from where you are, has a great village, go there for lunch, Aperathos. Very traditional village, not too many tourists. Pyrgaki, is another great beach, south of where you'll be. Really beautiful as well.

enjoy it!

Mentioned in this post
Pyrgaki
Pyrgaki
Naxos, Greece
atlanta, Ga.
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

We rented a Jeep Jimmy which is a soft top...Put it down when you want to get the "outdoor" feel and up when it's too hot or windy...We did this last year and enjoyed it. Have rented mopeds on the islands, as well, and they are fun.

CGold

Seymour, Connecticut
Level Contributor
82 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

Really appreciate all the advice. Hadn't thought about renting a jeep that we could take the top down on, but really like the idea.

Thanks again to all of you who have commented, and to anyone who does so in the future.

Mike

Belgium
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
474 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

Things you cannot miss :

. Go to Halki & after the visit to the citron distillery you hang around the main small square & wait for the taverna owner to put his BBQ on :)

. Go in the evening to Apiranthos & eat at Leftheris (with a car !)

. Check out the open air cinema in the main town & enjoy a nice movie

. Check out the beaches a bit further Mikri Vigla, there are some more secluded beaches round the old hotel ruin (Alyko beaches, just next to Glyfada beaches behind the dunes)

. While staying in MIkri Vigla, make a pre-booking for a taverna called Axiotissa which is located on the main road but which is considered as the best place to eat. (prebook 2-3 days ahead in summer)

. Go for a daytrip to visit the old emery mines, you can have a swim on Panormos & enjoy icecream in that 1 place very near the beach

. Visit Koronos, get lost in that village & end up eating at "I Platsa", the local taverna in the middle of the village

If you have any issues or other questions, send me a note via tripadvisor, I'll be most of July-August in Kastraki which is the village next to Mikri Vigla.

Mentioned in this post
Kastraki
Kastraki
Naxos, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,669 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

You will find photos of most of these places to get an idea in the island album I posted earlier.

Seymour, Connecticut
Level Contributor
82 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car, moped, or quad?

Can't say how much I appreciate all the advice.

Thanks so much

Mike

Reply to: Car, moped, or quad?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mikri Vigla