We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Gerani right for family of 6 ?

Which Gerani hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Is Gerani right for family of 6 ?

We have found a lovely but affordable villa in Gerani, west of Chania, and are considering renting it for a fortnight next summer. We have not been to Crete before, and would plan some lazy days by the pool or on the beach, with some sightseeing further afield, trip to waterpark etc. We would have a car for the entire stay. My children will be ages ranging from 12 to 16. I would anticipate that we would eat out most evenings, but that sometimes that would be in Platanias or elsewhere along that strip of coastline. Would Gerani be suitable? I realise that there are only limited facilities within walking distance, but would there be enough to keep everyone entertained? And what is the beach itself like? We don't like anything too lively, but don't want bored teenagers. I would welcome your thoughts. Thanks!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Gerani right for family of 6 ?

there are various resorts along that stretch of coast; Platanias is probably the most lively, then Agia Marina, then Gerani and then the ones west of Gerani - Maleme, Tavronitis etc are much quieter. With a car you can choose where to go. In August, Platanias and Agia Marina can be quite lively, it is a popular area for Scandinavian tourists.

The beach is OK along that stretch, IMO best at Agia Marina. As you go further west towards Maleme, there is less sand and more shingle/pebble.

The area is great for touring around by car, particularly if you like good scenery and good places to go.

I stayed in Agia Marina in May 2011 with some friends on a walking holiday. We toured round quite a bit, here are some photos from then:

http://tinyurl.com/npotcr4

If you open them individually, there is a description on the bottom left.

I'd say go for it, as long as you have access to flights to and from Chania.

Edited: 7:17 am, September 12, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Gerani right for family of 6 ?

Thanks Steve - loved the photos, especially the goats! We have taken the plunge and booked the villa. I am sure it will be fine. Haven't been to Greece for 35 years so it'll all be new to me. Now looking for flights to Chania (as I know it's by far the closer airport). Many thanks for your advice.

3. Re: Is Gerani right for family of 6 ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, November 16, 2014