We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turtle farms

Which Beruwala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
turtle farms

I was really looking forward to this, hoping paying my ticket would help the local ecology. I cannot help but think this is a bit of a rip off and its as quick as they can get you round it to collect a tip.

we are told some of the turtles are "kept" for so many years for research and then released. babies are hatched then taken down at night

im not so sure, anyone help change my oppinion on this?

otherwise I will definately not be recommending it in the future.

sydney
Level Contributor
152 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: turtle farms

I think with most of the operators it is a total rip off. When we first entered the farm we were encouraged to pick up baby and larger turtles which I found strange considering I had mossie protector, sun cream etc on my hands. We subsequently discovered that a high percentage die from diseases passed via contact with humans etc. Later on in the tour we were given a well scripted speech on how an extra donation would help ........

Afterwards I did a bit of research and talked to others and came to the conclusion that I would have contributed more towards the welfare of turtles by avoiding the place altogether. In the past few years these turtle farms have proliferated round the Galle area as word has got around how easy it is to milk the naive tourists.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: turtle farms

IMO allowing people to touch the hatchling turtles is simply a moneymaking act. Surely, since the claim has been made that some of these places are conservation conscious, the operators must know that doing so is detrimental to the survival of these creatures. Elsewhere in the world hatchlings in controlled wildlife situations are protected from human contact on the grounds that such contact interferes with their magnetic impression and means that they won't know where to return to as adults to lay their eggs.

I have been in turtle sanctuaries where only one of approximately 100 plus hatchlings is held by the ranger so that people can get a closer look.

Archi

3. Re: turtle farms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, February 02, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Beruwala
Recent Conversations