We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which currency should i take

Desborough, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
which currency should i take

Hello we're off to sri lanka to get married at the eden resort and spa in july and was wandering which currency to take sterling or u.s. dollars any advice greatly appreciated thankyou

Guide in Sri Lanka
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
Dara Gems & Jewellery
Gift & Specialty Shops
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which currency should i take

Just take Sterling. No need to change 2 times.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,685 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which currency should i take

Hi there,

Your own strong currency, Sterling in your case. The (too many) operators and agencies still recommending people to change into USD first IMHO disqualify themselves immediately as reliable travel advisors :-(

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which currency should i take

if take US $ or sterling you no need to worry. $ & E are commenly accepted for most of the payments and you can changed easyly in to LKR. If you are travel better to keep sufficient amount of local currency. specially for small payments.

Sharon Gunathilake GST

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,685 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which currency should i take

Incorrect Sharon.

"$ & E are commenly accepted for most of the payments "

is NOT true. Some tourist businesses indeed quote prices in USD/Sterling/Euro as well as in rupees, but when you are really wanting to pay cash in these generally they're accepting them at a lousy exchange rate.

Exchange into LKR at a bank or a commercial money changer before you plan to pay anything in Lanka...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which currency should i take

Who told you to take $US, a travel agent ?

The 1st time I went, a travel agent told me to take $us, what a load of rubbish.

Enjoy your trip, my flight out there leaves in just under 4 hours , although its scorching hot here in Newcastle this morning

Desborough, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which currency should i take

thankyou all most helpful sterling it is

then

7. Re: which currency should i take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Beruwala