We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jewellery shops

Which Beruwala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wales
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
jewellery shops

hi i am going to the neptune in october and i am hoping to purchase a diamond ring does any one know of any good jewellery shop around beruwela thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jewellery shops

Hi Shirley,

Just ask the hotel to direct you to a good jeweller since there will be plenty of jewellery shops in that area as its a very touristy place. I m sure even the hotel will have one too. Just as a suggestion, why not make a trip to Colombo where you will find plenty of good jewllers to chose from. Places like Vogue, Mallike Hemachandra Jewellers, Swarnamahal will have a good collection of diamond jewellery,

Hope this helps.

Treshi, Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jewellery shops

Hi shirley7806

We have just got back from the eden hotel in Beruwela and wanted to buy some jewellery our Kuoni rep advised us to be very carefull as fake jewellery is very widespread in Sri Lanka you will always be offered a certificate of authentisity but these are often not worth the paper they are written on. Our rep suggested the shop in the hotel where we could get 30% discount and he said he they were reputable. Your best bet is to ask your rep when you get there for any advice

Hope this helps

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jewellery shops

Are the prices for diamonds much cheaper than in the UK? Anyone bought one who could offer some information as to what they paid?

Thanks

Barbie

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jewellery shops

Hi Barbie

All jewels/ gems are much cheaper in Sri Lanka than they are here in UK, but you should really take heed from what Treshi said in earlier reply to this posting, and ONLY deal with well known jewellers, maybe in Colombo.

Beware from ALL local jewellers, YES that includes hotels too, if a rep recommends a hotel shop, then he is getting a commision!!, trust me i know.

Regards

Dave

Stockport, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: jewellery shops

I can vouch for the shop at the Neptune, Shirley I had my wedding ring made there, and also as a present to my wife a gold braclet with 5 diamonds set in it. It was tailor made for me in a few days.

i paid around £150 for the bracelet, and had it valued in uk for £300.

Doug

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jewellery shops

Doug

I am not disputing that you got a good deal, what i will say though is this, that bracelet you hade made for your wife, well it would probably have cost about £120.00 at Vogue Jewellers in Colombo..

Hotel shops, although "mostly" selling good things, know that most guests will not bother going into Colombo, so will charge a little more.

So, my message, as before, heed what Treshi has said earlier, after all she lives in Colombo, and knows where to shop for this sort of thing.

Regards

Dave

Manchester
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: jewellery shops

Hi, we have just arrived back yesterday, and we stayed at the Neptune. I had enquired at a few shops for sapphires, and there was a huge price difference from one shop to another, my husband tends to haggle with them more and the price somehow drops by 50% after a while. One shop in Aluthgama wouldnt accept our final price offer, then two days later they called me at the hotel. The shop outside the hotel reception gave the best price, and even had my ring custom made with a blue sapphire in 2 days. I was told by many jewellers that Sri lanka does not have their own diamonds, but mainly sapphires at all colours, i bought some white sapphire pieces of jewellery and they look stunning. Some pink sapphire earings for my daughter too. Generally, the gems are much cheaper than uk, but be careful not to agree to their first price. Enjoy, we did.

8. Re: jewellery shops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 20, 2009