We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries to Hydra in October

Sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries to Hydra in October

I am planning to visit Hydra in October (8-10) I have booked a hotel and the proprietor was unable to tell me the exact ferry times because the timetables are not available... but I have been doing some other research and asked a few questions and I have been told by a representative of "GoFerry" that there are NO ferries running to Hydra in October. Help!?

I am totally confused and obviously need to get this issue sorted out soon.

can anyone supply any info about ferry timetables or point me in the right direction to find this info.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries to Hydra in October

I assume that rep from GoFerry simply looked at the timetables and not finding any for October told you complete nonsense. Of course there are ferries to Hydra in October although their frequency is reduced to 3-4 per day. You have to wait for the 2013 timetables but in the meantime you can use the backtracking facility at www.openseas.gr to get a general idea.

Sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries to Hydra in October

Thank you... I suspected it was rubbish but so hard to know! I will check out the link you provided.

Patras, Greece
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries to Hydra in October

I'm not surprised! You will need to check later. There are ferries from Piraeus. But why go to Hydra? It is bleak and the hotels are over-priced (albeit the reviews rate them very highly) - I have paid about the same for a week on other islands compared to the day rate on Hydra - all the Greeks know this. There is absolutely nothing to do. Transport is by foot or donkey from the ferry port. I have just spend an afternoon and (very) late evening there for the annual navel celebration - burning of boat and firework display. The beaches adjacent to the town are small, rocky and accessed by steps. Other beaches are accessible only by water-taxis.

Sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries to Hydra in October

Ok Colin thanks for your message! Bugger... Any suggestions where i could go? I dont want to be hours away from Athens by ferry and only have 2 nights to spare.. Ie travel fro athens to ?? Stay night, next day and night and travel back to Athens by early evening on day 3.

I would REALLY appreciate any advice...I have not visted greece before and have always wanted to visit at least 1 island!

Thank you in advance

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries to Hydra in October

I wouldn't describe Hydra as "bleak" - if the sun is shining the harbour is is very pretty. I quite like swimming off the rocks. It IS expensive, though.

But if you want to relax on a lovely sandy beach (should still be ok in early October), then Poros is your best bet. And it's closer than Hydra!

Sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries to Hydra in October

Thanks... Im now looking at Poros... And have already found a much nicer much cheaper hotel!!

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferries to Hydra in October

The amount of time you scheduled for Hydra is about right. Yes, there is no beaches to speak of, no archeological sites and no agriculture. There is though one of the most beautiful harbor fronts in Greece, beautiful narrow lanes lines with lovely homes to explore. And then there are the donkeys. The only means of transportation on the island. Don't fret, the island is small enough to walk or hike to most of it. And of course since there are no vehicles you don't have to worry about getting run over. October is the off season and you should be able to get some very good deals on accommodations. There is a lovely path around the side of the island to the beautiful little fishing village of Kamini that is worth the effort. We loved our short time there and it was worth the stay. If Hydra is not a good fit for you I would recommend Aegina, even closer to the mainland with beaches, agriculture, archeological sites and much more to do. Either would be a good choice for you.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,331 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferries to Hydra in October

Hi,

If your preference is to rest up on a beach close to Athens you could consider Agistri which is just beyond Aegina but much closer to the mainland than either Hydra or Poros:

http://www.greeka.com/saronic/agistri/

Sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferries to Hydra in October

I did a bit of research and funnily enough I have found a lovely hotrl on Agistri..... Quite a bit cheaper than the one on Hydra with better facilities, location etc.

Thank you to everyone who contributed!

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferries to Hydra in October

One more remark about ferry transportation between saronic islands: we stay in Poros , enjoy our stay very much and went for a day trip to Hydra. Hydra is very special and definitely worth a day trip. I just would like to warn fellow travelers: we waited for the ferry to take us back to Poros one whole hour!!