We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

motorbike hire in sri lanka

bodmin,cornwall
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
motorbike hire in sri lanka

hi hoping 2 book hol 2 sri lanka for mid/late jan 2011. Possibilty in staying at the 'Palm village hotel' . have read mixed reviews about the hotel but its the area that i need more info about? How far is Negombo, also is it safe to do alot of walking and can you just walk along one beach to another?

Also where can we hire motorbikes from and where would you suggest we visit?

Many thanks

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: motorbike hire in sri lanka

hi

If you havent been to SL before and are not familiar with the chaotic and suicidal trafic it is not a good idea to drive yourself much better to hire driver and car or tuc tuc much safer for yourself.

have a good and safe holiday

regards

Richard

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: motorbike hire in sri lanka

Hi,

I'm an ex-biker and wouldn't fancy riding a bike in some areas of Sri Lanka. Busy towns such as Colombo, Kandy, etc, are chaotic ,

Normal road trafic goes by the rule, might is right,,, buses and trucks rule the road and make up their own rules as they go along so a bike is way down the list and you need to ride very defensively and be constantly looking for the escape route.

BUT, as you're a little to the north of Negombo, I'd be quite happy to use a bike on the roads around there and there's quite a few places worth visiting without getting too much involved in the high trafic density areas.

The Munneswaram Kovil, in Chilaw, Hatthikucchi ancient budhist complex, and a little further to get to Anuradhapura , Mihintale, etc.

All reachable through relatively lightly used roads.

If you did those trips then you'd be in a position to judge any further trips, maybe to the Elephant Orphanage.

I havn't hired a bike from this place but did go in to chat with the owner and take a look at the bikes. They did look good, clean, up to date and well mantained .

Motor Bike Hire,

Alma Tours, ( Anthony Fernando ),

217 Lewis Place,

Negombo... Tel; +94-(0)-31-4873624

I'd still make sure that I checked to bike thoroughly before riding it. Brakes, lights, tyres, etc.

Yes it's safe to do lots of walking..all beaches are public so you can go where ever you like. Somketimes I've asked permission if I saw anyone around but other times I;'ve walked through private land, coconut groves, paddy fields, forests etc, and never had anyone object. A coupld of times , when I've obviously wandered to where I shouldn't be and then met someone, the result has been a friendly chat and polite directions to a public area.

Rod.

bodmin,cornwall
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: motorbike hire in sri lanka

many thanks will look in2 it .

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,448 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: motorbike hire in sri lanka

Some extra info for offroad fans; the story is about 4WD but probably also applies to biking.

sundaytimes.lk/101212/Magazine/sundaytimesmi…

So for those interested, try to contact the agencies and organisations referred to in the story!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

5. Re: motorbike hire in sri lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:27 am, March 23, 2011
6. Re: motorbike hire in sri lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, June 22, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Uswetakeiyawa
Recent Conversations