We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which place?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Which place?

I have been to towns along the coastal route as far as Hermanus and would now like to spend a few nights in the Overberg somewhere en route to Arniston (Waenhuiskrans). Am considering de Kelders, Struisbaai, Arniston or any other nice fishing village. Priorities are charm, view, nice harbour etc. Need one or two reasonably good restaurants. Any advice? Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Arniston
Arniston
Overberg District, South Africa
5 replies to this topic
McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which place?

Wherever you decide to stay, do go for lunch at Marianna's in Stanford.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which place?

Stop over in Struisbaai to see the lighthouse and take a photo at Cape Agulhas, but would not recommend overnighting there as its not particularly picturesque. I haven't been to De Kelders so cant comment. Macsym recommends stopping in Stanford for lunch, and I would even suggest it as a good place to overnight as its a cute little town and there is some nice farm accommodation options. Plus it has Birkenhead brewery and a few decent restaurants. Elgin also has some charming options, but even more inland.

Edited: 5:57 am, November 10, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Cape Agulhas
Cape Agulhas
Elgin
Elgin
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which place?

Stanford has a neat evening market on the town 'square' the last Friday each month, 6 to 8PM. Wine tastings, some vendors with takeaway meals you can eat there or carry home, some handcrafts. On a nice night, very cool. As for Mariana's - plan ahead. She's normally booked up every day. We have a new upmarket restaurant in De Kelders - Benguela.. it was earlier down at the Gansbaai harbor but has just opened in De Kelders, having taken over one of the large Guest Houses, with its big dining area.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
608 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which place?

Hi touristguide

Hopefully you have seen my PM to you. But I agree with the guys above and sorry for my mistake, I meant Struisbaai, not Stillbaai!!

For me it would be de Kelders or Stanford and Stanford probably wins out of the whale season! Marianna's probably does the best county style cooking I have had on my trips to the Cape. Plan to spend a whole afternoon there - eating delicious food, drinking good wine, take a stroll around the vegetable garden between courses, chat to Peter and Marianna and admire the mountain views.....idillic!

Dave, which guest house has Benguela taken over?

Lisa

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which place?

Thanks, everyone. Seems as though de Kelders will win out as it is so much easier to get to from Cape Town and there are the closeby towns of Hermanus, Stanford, Gansbaai, Kleinbaai, Franskraal and Pearly Beach. We will be staying in Paternoster on the West Coast and I understand that it, in a way, resembles Arniston so the image of rocky terrain, unspoiled nature and solitude is appealing.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Arniston
Arniston
Reply to: Which place?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Overberg District