We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lami beach or south chaweng - laid back for families

Which Lamai Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
lami beach or south chaweng - laid back for families

Hi there

What do you all think? I'm looking for a laid back holiday for me and my family. I don't want to be faced with wall to wall girly bars etc. Looking for white, sandy beach, good swimming and nice beach bars/restaurants in the evening. Have posted quite a lot looking at other beach recommendations but had not considered Lamai as I had heard it was a bit seedy and I don't want to be faced with that with my kids.

Ideally looking for beachfront villa/bungalow in nice hotel.

Thank you.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lami beach or south chaweng - laid back for families

hi guys

chaweng and Lamai both have seedy sides when you get off the main strips

but its not visible on the beach in general

choeng mon and bophut dont have any girlie bars because the local Mafia are more happy with a different image

look at these areas for hotels

choeng mon would have a nicer beach than bophut but bophut has more treny bars and restaurants to choose from

cheers

DC

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lami beach or south chaweng - laid back for families

South Chaweng is I think better than Lamai and there are no visible girlie bars around there, the Samui Paradise at the tip of the beach would be a good option for a family or the Centara Resort.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,228 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lami beach or south chaweng - laid back for families

Yes, South Chaweng is nicer than Lamai, but you can also look at Chaweng Noi or Choeng Mon.

]

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lami beach or south chaweng - laid back for families

Hi

Seedy side of chaweng beach are mostly confined to one side street ( soi ) Green Mango where you find the clubs and bars. You wouldn't have notice anything if you don't ventures in there.

The same as Lamai they are mostly confined to one area but no where near beach.

Cheers,

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lami beach or south chaweng - laid back for families

Definitely South Chaweng - I stayed between both two years ago and South Chaweng would be my choice, although we enjoyed visiting Lamai but did find it a bit more girly bar orientated - not that they bother me at all.

Mansfield
Level Contributor
605 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lami beach or south chaweng - laid back for families

Lamai doesn't fit your needs.

Choeng Mon meets your criteria, the younger the kids evern more so. Dependent on your budget look at Honeys or Boat House

england
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lami beach or south chaweng - laid back for families

thank you all. Yes, now I'm deciding between South Chaweng and Cheong Mon - so many decisions!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lami beach or south chaweng - laid back for families

Choeng Mon if you want quieter, more laid back, South Chaweng if you want to be in the thick of things more.

9. Re: lami beach or south chaweng - laid back for families

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lamai Beach
Recent Conversations