We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay or not to stay?

Which Lamai Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Topic
stay or not to stay?

Been to chaweng and loved it an going to be there a week ovr xmas. Is lamai worth a couple of nites? I know its far more low key than chaweng but whats the night scene like? Will i get bored? Im a solo backpacker.

scotland
Level Contributor
216 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay or not to stay?

Hi,

Just got confirmation from Baby, Ovada showband is playing in Samui Shamrock every night. Can't wait to see them again, great band !!!

Janice

Edited: 8:46 pm, November 13, 2012
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay or not to stay?

If you like Chaweng I wouldn't move to Lamai but as you're backpacking you won't have much baggage so it won't be a hassle if you do decide to check out another area .

Glasgow
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay or not to stay?

First seen Ovada roughly 10 or 11 years ago. They were the resident band in a Hotel in Singapore where we were staying. We had never seen anything like it before - they were fantastic and made a lot of money from everyone watching as their Manager (a lady) came round in the interval and was given money from mostly everyone watching. It was, indeed, a "Show". They were a family of two brothers and three sisters (I think). We next seen them in Koh Samui at New Year three years ago but there was only one sister in the band. They were certainly good but couldn't help comparing them to the original band. However, would still go and see them.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay or not to stay?

Well....2 replies out of 3 with absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether the OP should go to Lamai or stick with Chaweng??...ha ha.....

ANYWAY...OP, as the 1 post already said that if you already like Chaweng you will find Lamai a bit quieter.

Don't get me wrong, it's ok but personally staying in Chaweng would be my choice but i see you say maybe only for a couple of days so i'd say go for it then you know and can decide if you ever come back whether to go to Lamai or back to Chaweng as you'll have experienced both.

It's also got it's lively bars as well, not quite the same level as Soi Green Mango but still lively bars to go to.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay or not to stay?

You're right. I got carried away when I seen a reply re Ovada and just assumed it was in connection with same. Must read thread first.

Sorry!

Cardiff
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: stay or not to stay?

Thanks for the advice. I may jus grab a taxi to lamai one evening see what its like, always got chaweng to go bck too then. If i get to chaweng on 23rd will there still be availability on boat to book to go phanghan for FMP on 29th u reckon?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,385 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stay or not to stay?

Welcome to the Samui TA forum awards night. And now, introducing the candidates in the 'Thread hijack of the Year' category.

.......and the winner is, elliemae ;)

scotland
Level Contributor
216 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stay or not to stay?

Hi fresh_prince,

I am sorry you feel like that.

I have only been to Chaweng once and never went to Lamai, only suggested this as Welshboy said he was a solo traveller and was looking for some night scene, as he had been to Chaweng, I thought maybe he would have seen this band there, it was only a suggestion.

I certainly was NOT trying to advertise or sell this band, I don't think they need it.

Janice

Edited: 3:46 pm, November 14, 2012
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stay or not to stay?

hi taff, lamai in my opinion is marvelous , i have been there for the last three years for my summer holiday, i would agree it probably is quieter than chaweng, but plenty of night life, restaurants, bars with live music, all depends what your looking for, try a few nights i think you will enjoy.

the band they talk about in previous posts are really good i have fond memories of the lead singer she had me up a few times be warned she likes you to sing along, great nights lol. hey mate enjoy your-self, very envious.

10. Re: stay or not to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Lamai Beach
Recent Conversations