We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers with young children

Dubai
Level Contributor
181 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
First timers with young children

Hi! We have been to Thailand before (BKK and PHuket) but this will be our first time in Samui. We are planning to go in early August and we have a 5 and a 7 year old.

I would like some advice regarding areas, as we don't want to be in the middle of a party area (like Pattong in Phuket) but would like to be within easy walking distance to markets and restaurants. I am looking for something similar to Kata in Phuket (more family orientated but still plenty going on).

I have also read that some beaches could be murky and dark, any advice on clear water ones?

Any idea if there are any flights from Samui to Hanoi? We would like to go there directly without going back to BKK (though I think that's wishful thinking, but no harm in asking!)

I appreciate all your help.

Thanks!

J

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers with young children

We have stayed in Lamai 3 times before ...Once with Husband & 2 boys 12/14 yrs again with myself & 19yr old son & again with just my husband. We will be going back again end of April for 9 days just my husband & i

We stay at Lamai Wanta it is a great Hotel with Beach Villas for Families seconds from Beach & Infinity Pool

We love the restaurant overlooking the beach for their inclusive breakfast , Lunches are good and really so is dinner

The main street of Lamai is 2/4 mins walk away close enough for your husband not to realize you have gone for a $5 massage, close enough to go with the kids to get Candy or Ice Cream or of course wazlk to look at tourist shops stall, market, pubs,

You can hire a car which I really wouldn't advise have done it twice ( I'll explain if you really want )

Everytime we have been there has been families with small children , with the Bungalows its so easy if they need to rest because you have your Hammock , Lounges , etc

Yes thee are pushy tailors, but your in Asia & Vietnam is worse , there is no direct flight to Hanoi best is Air Bangkok to BKK then Air Asia ( they are bad but less than twice the price of Air Bangkok ) BKK to Hanoi......Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Maret, Thailand
Lamai Wanta
Lamai Wanta
602 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
manchester
Level Contributor
86 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers with young children

Hi we went last year to Samui with our 5 year old and are returning this year. We love the Buri Rasa which is on beautiful South Chaweng. Staff great with kids (although all Thai's seem to be great with kids). It's close enough to many varied restaurants and our daughter loved looking round the shops close by. The beach is stunning and it is away from the hustle and bustle of Chaweng Road so in my view you get the best of both worlds. We are moving around a bit this year but longed to do a few days back at our favourite hotel. To be honest anywhere from the Buri Rasa going south on the beach would be lovely - go for the Centara if you like big bustling hotels or somewhere like Samui Paradise for something a bit quieter.

Have a great time - you'll love it!

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Lamai Buri Resort
Lamai Buri Resort
331 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers with young children

We went to Samui last year with our then 4 and 6 year old. We stayed in two places, Bophut and Thongtakien Beach. We really liked both for different reasons. Bophut is great as there are lots of little restaurants, bars and shops to wander through and it is a very easy walking street, but the sea there although calm was a bit murky, so we used the pool a lot. We also stayed at Thongtakien Beach which is closer to Lamai and about 10 minutes drive to Chaweng. The beach here is a little cove and had beautiful clear water, also there were no beach sellers to hassle you constantly. We stayed at Thongtakien Resort, which was small but perfect for our needs. The rooms were large with a Double Bed and a Single Bed, but there was plenty of room for another bed if requested. The breakfast was adequate, cereals, juices, eggs etc. We just jumped on the local Songthaew to take us into either Lamai or Chaweng and also hired a car for a couple of days.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Maret, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Dubai
Level Contributor
181 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers with young children

Thanks so much for all your replies, I really appreciate you taking some time to reply.

Juts one query, so Chaweng is not too seedy then? Was I wrong to imagine it being as seedy as Pattong in Pukhet? Or does it have nicer areas, like Loo1 suggested? What would you recommend then, Lamai or South Chaweng? Are the beaches in both that different?

cassnu, I will look into Thongtakien Beach area more thoroughly later, so might come back with more questions. Bophtu's murky waters kind of put me off (we love clear waters!)

Any suggestions about a nice traditional Thai-style hotel? We usually go for small boutique hotels as we are not fans of big undescriptive hotels (where it seems you could be anywhere in the world!) We went to Sawasdee Village in Kata (Pukhet) and we would love to find something similar: small, good service but so traditional and beautifully decorated. I am only now starting doing my homework, but if someone could give me a headstart it would be fab!

Once again, thanks to you all!

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Maret, Thailand
Sawasdee Village
Sawasdee Village
1,443 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers with young children

The Thongtakien Resort is a small hotel, with a small pool and the water there is beautiful - but it is not traditional with wood etc, but the people/staff are very friendly. I guess if you want walking distance to restaurants etc then South Chaweng is probably better - it's not seed. The main Chaweng area is very busy and has McDonalds etc so stay away from there! Lamai beach is not as nice as South Chaweng as far as I know. There are lots of accommodation options at South Chaweng, but having not stayed there I couldn't point you to any. You could put another question on TA asking for accommodation options in South Chaweng though.

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
1,747 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers with young children

I have stayed at both Lamai Wanta and Thai House Beach Resort. Both are in the middle of the best part of Lamai beach and I would recommend both. The Lamai Wanta is a little less fancy but both have lovely grounds a step from the beach

Mentioned in this post
Lamai Wanta
Lamai Wanta
602 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Thai House Beach Resort
Thai House Beach Resort
782 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
1,747 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers with young children

The only thing I don't like about Lamai is the street with all the girly bars, it felt a bit seedy and not somewhere to take children IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Maret, Thailand
new zealand
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers with young children

Hi there,

We find Lamai a bit seedy as well,and would prefer to stay at Chaweng south with children.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Maret, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Kingscliff...
Level Contributor
114 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers with young children

Hi, you guys sound exactly like us and I actually put up a post 2 minutes prior to reading yours asking the same questions as we are going to Samui late May early June.

I'll watch your post and if you get any great tips, that will help us.

Thanks

Also, if we find any good ones whilst there, we'll put a post up

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Dubai
Level Contributor
181 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers with young children

Thanks for the advice, somehow I had the wrong impression that Lamai was less seedy than Chaweng (which I mistook for the Samui version of Pattong, which I hated!!!) Always great to hear from people who has actually been there.

Any advice on South Chaweng hotels then? I am struggling a bit trying to find out which are south Chaweng and which just Chaweng.

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Maret, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand