We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A pronunciation question!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
A pronunciation question!

I will be visiting Karpathos and staying in the Ammopi/Amoopi area. As always, I try to use the Greek pronunciation for the places I stay. Would this place be pronounced AmmOOOOPi, or perhaps AmoPEEEE? Both sound like fun to me, but I'd like to get it right LOL! Thanks for your help.

Karen

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,239 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A pronunciation question!

All Greek words have an accent above the syllable that is stressed. Unhelpfully, most English language guidebooks and maps omit the accent from place names. However I've found a Greek language website for a hotel in Ammopi, Karpathos which shows the accent above the final letter - so it's pronounced AmopEE. It's great that you've bothered to ask, as most English speaking people don't bother with correct Greek pronunciation!

By the way it's KARpathos (not KarPAYthos) if you're wondering!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A pronunciation question!

I did not know that about the accent... very useful. KARpathos and AmopEE it is!

Efcharisto Poli.

Karen

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A pronunciation question!

Hi Karen

The Rough Guides always use the accent to mark the stress on place names. Karpathos is of course included in the Rough Guide to the Dodecanese which unfortunately, has not been reprinted since 2002

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A pronunciation question!

Thanks GB. I have a phrase book which shows the stress syllables for words but hadn't come across any help with the place names, until now. I'm a little disappointed with the stress for Ammopi. I had kind of hoped it was AmmOOpi... sounds more fun somehow LOL!

Karen

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A pronunciation question!

Hey Karen:-) I thought it was AmOOpi too..Kinda like sayin' it that way..lol;-)) See you're brushing up on some Greek for this year's trip..great goin'! EnjoY!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A pronunciation question!

He he he, it sounds a bit weird they way it's pronounced, yes :)

By the way, meaning is Greek is much better if yoiu can picture it.

It means "sandy" or "sand covered" :)

άμμος = sand

Edited: 1:36 pm, February 09, 2012
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A pronunciation question!

Ahhhhh!! Thanks for that Nick;-) Makes a 'little' more sense now..LOL!! Keep enjoyin' all!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A pronunciation question!

Thanks Nick! I hope it's true to it's meaning!! Yes Litsa, I have my phrase book out for a refresher course! We weren't able to make it last year so I am oh so ready for my visit in June! Planning helps the winter speed on by!

Karen

9. Re: A pronunciation question!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 29, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Ammopi
Recent Conversations