We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Tavernas in Loutro?

Which Loutro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Which Tavernas in Loutro?

Does anyone have recommendations for tavernas in Loutro please? The last time I went I liked the one near the far end, not directly on the beach, with lots of vegetarian dishes.

& which is best for fresh fish?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Tavernas in Loutro?

There are two that are particularly good for fresh fish: Ilios, and To Limani. They're next to each other, to the right of the Porto Loutro as you stand with your back to the sea.

Ilios is also the best in Loutro for really well-cooked and delicious Cretan dishes (and the best barrel wine) and To Limani is also good for grilled meat (they often have goat as well as the usual lamb, pork. and chicken).

Next to To Limani is Pavlos, also quite good for grilled meat; and between the Porto Loutro and Ilios is Notos, which is great for mezedes (some think it the best place in Loutro).

The Blue House is very popular, and another good place for home-cooked Cretan dishes - I like it a lot, but I don't think it's as good as Ilios.

I think the one you went to was probably Madares - also good for home cooked food, but I don't think it is as good as Ilios.

almosr
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Tavernas in Loutro?

Is Ilios the one just up some steps to the left of PL hotel?

We loved it

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Tavernas in Loutro?

Yes, that's Ilios.

For the record, I agree with Albaston, it's very good, nice fresh fish, good friendly service. & the waiter talked me out of the more expensive fish!

However, To Limani was very disappointing, at best average food & service was horrid - maybe we just got them on a bad night, but I won't be going next time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Tavernas in Loutro?

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad time at To Limani, and hope it was just a bad night. It's sad to think this lovely place may have deteriorated.

Could you say what was horrid about the service? Send me a PM if you don't want to be "public".

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Tavernas in Loutro?

>Is Ilios the one just up some steps to the left of PL hotel?<

No, you're thinking of Notos (standing with your back to the Porto Loutro, on the left, up some steps).

Ilios is the next one along.

almosr
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Tavernas in Loutro?

Thanks Albastron....that's the one we loved. Going back next week (third visit).

I seem to remember Notos also takes credit cards.....?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Tavernas in Loutro?

>I seem to remember Notos also takes credit cards.....?<

Sorry, but I don't know: I always pay cash in Crete.

Enjoy Loutro! And do try Ilios too. Notos is great for mezedes; Ilios is the best for excellent home-cooked Cretan dishes.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Tavernas in Loutro?

Yes I think Notos does take credit cards but i'm not sure the machine always works. Like Alabastron says we always take cash.

almosr
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Tavernas in Loutro?

Yes but if you run out of cash, it's a ferry-ride back to the ATM!

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Tavernas in Loutro?

Or a nice walk. :-)

Seriously - don't run out of cash. The ATM in Sfakia is occasionally empty.

Get answers to your questions about Loutro