We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)

South Wales, United...
5 posts
Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)

Hi all, heading to Crete for 10 nights in May, landing in Chania and staying for a few days, then two nights in Loutro.

I believe we will have to take a bus to Sfakia then ferry to Loutro to get there (understand no cars etc).

However after our time in Loutro would like to head to west coast and up to Balos Beach, potentially staying in or near Kissamos.

My question is how do we get from Loutro to there?

So far I am wondering if I can take ferry from Loutro to Sougia, walk Agia Irini Gorge, then head up west side to Balos etc.

But struggling to make sure this is doable.

I guess my other alternative is to go back the other side (via Chania) then west, but feel like this would be a shame?

Any help gratefully received as I am a little bit of a nervous traveller.

Thank you.

40 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
21,869 posts
10 reviews
15 helpful votes
31. Re: Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)

It isn't a crazy thought: you can walk from Loutro to Sfakia along the coastal path. The walk takes about two hours at a good, steady pace: an hour to Sweetwater Beach, another hour to Sfakia. The last half hour is along the road, after a stiff climb from the beach to the road level.

I've done this walk a lot. It's a Mediterranean classic, absolutely beautiful, but challenging for people who suffer from vertigo as it goes very close to the cliff edge in places. On several occasions I've had to do it, not by choice but because of ferry cancellations in October! You can do it only if you can carry all your stuff in a backpack.

Doing the trip the Sougia-Loutro way is fine. Just don't risk getting stranded in Loutro on the last day of your trip, unless you know you can walk the coastal path to Sfakia.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
910 posts
67 reviews
146 helpful votes
32. Re: Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)

Perfect, we do travel with backpacks only, so good to know that's a backup plan for us. :)

South Wales, United...
5 posts
33. Re: Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)

Hi, if it helps, I can report back after my trip in May too with info about getting to/from Loutro etc :)

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
910 posts
67 reviews
146 helpful votes
34. Re: Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)

That would be great, thanks! (And also for starting this thread, it's been very helpful to me as well!)

Wales
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
35. Re: Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)

Hi, Look at the Sfakia-crete forum www.sfakia-crete.com & click on ferries. This will give you the timetables for the year with the two companies running ferries , Anendyk & NEN. NEN have a ferry leaving Loutro at 1000 arriving in Sougia at 1155 which should be operating in May(Check with the company). Regarding buses there should be a daily 0815 from Hania to Sfakia which also passes through Souda port at 0830 stopping at the National Bank of Greece bus stop. Souda is quicker to get to from Hania airport if you are in a rush!!! Re buses from Sougia- there is a 0900 bus to Elafonissi via Paleochora but if it has started in May it will probably only operate 2-3 days a week. There is also a Elafonissi to Hania bus late afternoon which would possibly be daily from about MId May. This bus passes fairly close to Kissamos.

Do go to Loutro & as others say don't miss the wonderful ferry rides along the coast - always sit on the side nearest the coast (Right-hand side looking for'ard when travelling West. On the bus to Sfakia sit on the Left side!!!)

If you do decide to do the Ag Irini gorge get the 0700 Mon-Sat bus to the entrance-hot drinks available there. It takes about 2.7 hours to the exit where the Oasis Taverna can feed & water you. Another hour to Sougia along the dried river bed to Sougia or Taxi.

Dave (Wales)

Wales
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
36. Re: Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)

Hi, I have 2018 timetables for Hania-Sfakia for 23 Sept buses DAILY at 0815, 1100 & 1400 . Also 0645 on certain days which connects with the Sfakia to Gavdos ferry. Sougia to Hania DAILY 0700, 1230 & 1815*.

*Waits for ferry from Samaria gorge port. Ask Roxanne at the bakery in Sougia where you get the bus tickets for latest bus times.

Dave

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
37. Re: Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)

"buses from Sougia- there is a 0900 bus to Elafonissi via Paleochora " Are you sure about this? I never heard about it. It would make for a pretty long drive...maybe over two hours each way?

Wales
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
38. Re: Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)

Yes there is but I am not sure when it starts to run, that is the problem. If it starts in May I would guess it might be mid-May & then only 2-3 days a week. In mid holiday season it is daily. . My group of 12 walkers from Wales have used it from Sougia to Paleochora I think in Mid-September. A lovely scenic run which took about 50 mins, it then leaves Paleochora at 1000 for Elafonissi. Returns late afternoon.

Dave

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
51 reviews
11 helpful votes
39. Re: Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)

We`ve been travelling from Sougia to Paleochora every September for over 10 yrs, this bus stops when the children go back to school (it is then used for a school run) usually around the 10th/2nd week of September.

Edited: 8:30 am, April 04, 2019
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
89 reviews
104 helpful votes
40. Re: Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)

The bus from Sougia to Elafonissi via Paleochora is on this archived timetable from mid May 2015, so it looks pretty hopeful:

…archive.org/web/…

Reply to: Loutro to Kissamos (via Sougia?)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loutro