We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing village, NOT

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
213 reviews
103 helpful votes
Fishing village, NOT

The article I read described Loutro as a quaint fishing village, so imagine my surprise when I stepped off the ferry to find almost nothing but hotels and restaurants lining the shore of the small cove. I liked the absence of cars, but everything was so close together that it felt very claustrophobic to me. And the two small beaches were narrow strips of pebbles that were hard on my feet.

I'm sure that some people love this place, but I'm not one of them. In truth I found Chora Skafion much more appealing.

19 replies to this topic
Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
11. Re: Fishing village, NOT

Loutro is VERY busy end of September / early October. You won't have to wait in line to get into restaurants (though some mind be full at evening peak time) but the beach is pretty full of sun loungers. You can just squeeze in between them on the hard pebbles.

The water is very clear and blue (rather thaan turquoise). The photos on https://www.west-crete.com/seaside-5.htm have not been overprocessed if you want to take a look

Chania Prefecture...
Destination Expert
for Almyrida, Crete
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
56 reviews
112 helpful votes
12. Re: Fishing village, NOT

Loutro will be starting to quieten down a little by the end of September, but will still be popular. I have never had to scour the tavernas for an empty table or wait, although I suppose maybe in August these days it's possible?

The sea along the South West coast is beautiful, & yes, usually clear & bright.

I wouldn't lie on the beach in Loutro to sunbathe for hours but I'd use it for swimming. There are very lovely beaches at Marmara - where you can swim into little caves & has a fab taverna, & at Glyka Nera (Sweetwater), a large uncrowded place. & you have the fun of the little boat trip there.

Yes Loutro is (too) popular these days, but the draw of a day or 2 there to me is: the change in natural beauty & atmosphere from the North coast, the feel of enclosure & time slowing down, so you watch the sunrise over the bay, the sigh of calm as the last ferry of the day departs, the small scale, so you stroll slowly along choosing where to eat, then sit reading & chatting for hours. Outside of July, August & most of September all these things are still possible, in my view.

Loads of videos on YouTube, here's 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8AOarZsubY

If you want somewhere smaller & quieter, then Hora Sfakion - somewhat popular for daytrips but quiet at night, Sougia or Agia Roumeli.

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
13. Re: Fishing village, NOT

"Loutro will be starting to quieten down a little by the end of September, but will still be popular." It may be quieter because only few Greeks will come after late September but I know that in the last 3 or 4 years Loutro has been fully booked up (no or almost no rooms to be found) until the middle of October.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
910 posts
67 reviews
146 helpful votes
14. Re: Fishing village, NOT

I want to visit there even more now after watching that YouTube clip! I love that it's small and very "alive" looking with activity... I think as long as we can get a table somewhere and find a place that will take a 2 night booking for us, it could be perfect since we really don't lay around on loungers much anyways. We will be staying at other beaches on the trip (Paros and Naxos), but neither I think compare the views in the South of Crete from what I can tell. Hopefully it's a little less crazy than July, August, and early September when we are there, but sounds from many posts like that should be the case at least to a degree. We're not after peace and quiet on this trip, just trying to avoid any insanity (unable to get on a bus or ferry, or get a table because it's too busy).

London, United...
Level Contributor
21,836 posts
10 reviews
15 helpful votes
15. Re: Fishing village, NOT

@j9ie: you've been told on your other thread, by JeanCrete and me, that October is peak season in Loutro, so you can expect it to be busy. Not as busy as it is in August, but busy. The beach will be packed: you won't see the pebbles for sun loungers and umbrellas. Marmara Beach will also be covered in sunloungers and umbrellas: if you want space on a beach, you can walk to Sweetwater Beach.

Depending on the restaurants you choose, you shouldn't have to wait in line for your meal, but the more popular ones are always busy, and you may feel you're being rushed: the ever-popular Blue House, which is good but not the best, is always hectic. The quieter, and I think better, places are at the eastern end of the village, to the right of the Porto Loutro hotel as you stand facing it.

The water is turquoise on a sunny day, and it looks clear from the surface, but if you're into snorkelling or swimming with a mask you'll see lots of rubbish on the seabed. In my hundred or so visits to Loutro over many years I've stayed on the beach no more than half a dozen times, only when I was too tired to walk to somewhere else. If you don't like beaches covered in sun loungers, and don't want to spend time on llungers yourselves, you won't like Loutro's beach.

If you want clean water, walk to Sweetwater. And you'll find crystal clear, clean turquoise water in Sougia and Agia Roumeli.

Edited: 2:22 pm, March 15, 2019
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
910 posts
67 reviews
146 helpful votes
16. Re: Fishing village, NOT

I think I'm starting to get a better idea of what to expect in October - we won't be going there for the beach itself or to lounge on it, but to sit up at a restaurant/patio and enjoy the views, or take in an easy walk or two, so I think we should enjoy our time there (I do keep coming back to Sougia as well though... I expect we'll do both to be able to enjoy the views from the ferry).

Really appreciate all of the feedback on this, the Crete forum has definitely been one of the most helpful ones I've used in Trip Advisor!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
29,922 posts
402 reviews
1,558 helpful votes
17. Re: Fishing village, NOT

For a few snaps of Loutro have a look at https://flic.kr/s/aHsm9fS8cx (and definitely no photoshop as I really don't like it and prefer to just point click and upload :-)).

There is a lovely walk round the coast to Pheonix/Fenix where there is a lovely little quiet bay and then walk back over the hill to Loutro.

London, United...
Level Contributor
21,836 posts
10 reviews
15 helpful votes
18. Re: Fishing village, NOT

Nice photos, goanjock: a sentimental trip down memory lane for me. In your photo 164 there is a clear view of the studio I stayed in several times a year for so many years that I came to think of it as "home". Although I stopped enjoying staying in Loutro along time ago (it's popularity has destroyed the peaceful character it once had) and continued going there only for the walks in the area, I've never stopped thinking of it as one of the most beautiful places in the world, and your photos show that well.

j9ie, the walk goanjock mentions around the headland to Finix and back over the hill is a perfect hour-long walk for you. Along the way you'll see the remains of ancient civilisations, including an impressive small Roman tomb, and at the top of the hill the remains of a magnificent Turkish fort and windmill.

Edited: 5:57 pm, March 15, 2019
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
29,922 posts
402 reviews
1,558 helpful votes
19. Re: Fishing village, NOT

I would be really tempted to go for Sougia to actually stay overnight in and for a few photos of Sougia https://flic.kr/s/aHsm92N2wa and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBFz4gP7dnc

p.s. about to hit submit and just spotted Alabastron's edit.........photos of the walk are also in my Loutro album and Alabastron has a great true story about the stone circle in front of the fort :-)

Reply to: Fishing village, NOT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loutro