We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendations for burren?

Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
recommendations for burren?

Hi - are there different walks available for different level of walkers? We walk regularly and have quiet good level of fitness, however i'm carrying an old injury so dont want to aggrivate it with very uneven surfaces.. any recommendations would be very welcome.

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendations for burren?

I've done the Caher Valley loop walk from Fanore, but it's fairly uneven and quite a climb, too:

shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/…en.html

flickr.com/photos/…

I think this walk from Ballyvaughan wouldn't be too challenging:

and this one near Carron should be ok:

both the aforementioned are classed "easy" - and you can find more trails on Shannon region trails web-site. You can also buy a "guide pack" of various trails in the area from the tourist information centre in Ballyvaughan:

http://www.shannonregiontrails.ie/

Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendations for burren?

Thanks a million Sarnia - that's great, just the information I need. This is a last minute trip and I was getting bogged down trying to get accurate information- it's always good to get first hand knowledge : )

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendations for burren?

Pleased to help :-)

if you're in the area: in Kinvarra on a Friday, there's a super farmers' market, just across the road from Centra - tucked behind some houses, and Burren Beo is open:

http://www.burrenbeo.com/

and I think if you look on Burren Beo, there are also details of guided walks, which might interest you.

Hope you enjoy your visit - it's one of my favourite places in Ireland. Heading there in 3 weeks' time :-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
283 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommendations for burren?

We're thinking of driving through the Burren on our way from Galway to Adare, is this possible or is it more of a side trip to the Burren?

If we won't be hiking is the Burren not as worthwhile?

Thank you!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommendations for burren?

@ littleworm

There's alot to see in the Burren - and it's not just about hiking :-)

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren…

flickr.com/photos/…

You could take this route from Galway through to the Cliffs; the drive is around 2hrs, but of course it could take you a whole day, depending on how many stops you make along the way. And from the Cliffs to Adare should take around 1.5-2hrs.

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19662-Galway…

:-)

Edited: 1:28 pm, July 11, 2012
Chicago
Level Contributor
283 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recommendations for burren?

Hi Thanks! I looked at the list/route and am wondering if it would be best to do the Cliffs first and then do more of the Burren since it "looks" to me (on a map that I'm unfamiliar with:) that the Burren would be more in the direction of Adare than the Cliffs.

Also, and I guess this is more of a side question. We are hoping to get a cooler and have lunch/picnic in some natural spots along the way. Is this done? We're hoping to do this a lot on our 11 day road trip, but we don't want to miss good lunch restaurants along the way either.

Since the Burren is a national park are there picnic areas?

Thanks for any advice!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recommendations for burren?

@ littleworm

No - you drive through the Burren en-route to the Cliff, which lie at the very edge of the Burren's south-west corner (approximate!) - as per my Go List Galway-Doolin route linked above.

Here's a very simple map; Galway lies just off top-right corner and the Cliffs lie south of Doolin:

burrenescape.com/find-us/downloadable-printa…

the map is however, slightly misleading, as the Park only covers a small area of the overall Burren region:

http://www.burrennationalpark.ie/visit.html

and is very unspoilt: no visitor centre, cafe etc. So by all means pack a picnic if the weather is nice; you'll find a couple of places along my route that would be suitable.

If not, there are several nice cafes and pubs in Ballyvaughan; small cafe at Aillwee Cave run by a group of lovely ladies - try the soup + bread and the guinness fruit cake; and also at Caherconnell Fort. You won't go hungry!

Oh - thinking about picnic: you could pick up some Burren cheese, Burren smoked salmon in Ballyvaughan or at Aillwee Farm shop. If you're driving through on a Friday, there's a super farmers' market in Kinvara, just across the road from Centra supermarket.

:-)

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: recommendations for burren?

The best route would be to take the N67 to Ballyvaughan and then follow the R480 which passes Ailwee Caves with the Birds of Prey centre, poulnabrone dolmen{megalithic tomb} Caherconnel ringfort then take the next road left signposted to Carron.From here follow signs to the Burren perfumery and Burren National Park where there are a series of signed loop walks but I don't remember any picnic areas.Head then to Kilnaboy church and then to Kilfenora visitors centre which is next door to the ruined cathedral housing some of the High Crosses of Ireland.Follow the R481 to Ennistymon and then head for Lahinch on the coast.You will only need to travel a few miles north along the coast to reach the cliffs.This journey can take a few hours or all day but well worth the effort.Enjoy your trip through the Burren

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: recommendations for burren?

@ GillMAC9

Ah: good! That's almost the same route I detailed on my "Go List - Galway to Doolin/Cliffs via the Burren":

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19662-Galway…

Nice to see I'm on the right track :-)

Reply to: recommendations for burren?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted