We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group

Which Naviti Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
216 reviews
Save Topic
Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group

Hi team,

I have heard many reports of great snorkelling spots of the fijian coast but have yet to find one with much live coral. We have just recently returned from Matamanoa Resort which many reviews said was a great snorkelling spot but I did not find it the case as there was very little live coral about.

I have been told that Botaira beach with live coral in the Yasawas group of Islands has the best snorkelling.

Could someone please assist Botaira or Blue lagoon for Live coral and snorkelling off the beach at ALL tides?.

42 replies to this topic
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group

Botaira only has bures but they are affordable and the front row beachfront are the best. Botaira and Octopus would be my choices for snorkeling and Botaira has an amazing beach of soft sand.

Canberra -
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group

Yes that is exactly the question I would like answered too??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group

You won't go wrong with Botaria Island. Second choice would be Blue lagoon resort. If you do go to either you will not be dissapointed. Blue lagoon is more up market but Botaria has true Fijian feel. Ask for bure 7 on the beachfront and quite they all have ensuite showers and a small fridge so you can bring some nibbles and bottled water along with you (Buy at Denaru) before you board the Yassawa Flyer.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group

Botaira has by far the best snorkeling in the Yasawas and Mamanucas also worth a look is Barefoot Island resort they have some very pretty coral reefs off the beach.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group

I have been to many Islands in Fiji and will be heading to Navini Island in September. I will update this thread when I return.

I have heard of great reports of this Island and it's coral and sea life so will see for myself and update all.

Looking forward to the Fiji life for another year.

I never stop enjoying this part of the world and it's people.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group

Navini had amazing coral until the cyclone of 2013 which caused so much damage to the reef. It is growing back. There is still lots to see including turtles. We found the western side of the island the best for snorkeling you have to go right out but it is worth it. The inclusive daily offshore excursion often include snorkeling and the western side of the Sand Cay and the Main Reef are amazing. We love this resort.

37. Re: Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, March 07, 2015

Tauranga, New...
1 post
Save Reply
38. Re: Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group

I have booked to go to the Botaira Beach Resort. Is there still live coral & can you see it shallow snorkelling? Have they put generators in to solve the power issue? Will also be going to the Blue Lagoon Resort. I'm hoping for excellent snorkelling.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group

kiwichic007 they coral at Botaira is the best you will see in the Yasawas extensive reef of different depths and pretty much all visible shallow snorkeling, depending on what you call shallow. You can't stand if that is what you mean and it is not permitted to stand on the coral as it is very fragile. There is a pontoon in the bay where you can take a break if you get tires. They have noodles to aid flotation or life vests which are good if you are not confident. It is a shallow swim out to the reef and you can follow the cement path out to the deeper water.

Botaira has a huge variety of healthy coral and it is a marine sanctuary lots of varieties of fish too.

Edited: 10:59 pm, March 06, 2015
San Diego...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
40. Re: Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group

I would also love to see your snorkeling pictures. Thank you lilly7301@hotmail.com

Reply to: Best Snorkelling beach for LIVE Coral in the Yasawas group
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Naviti Island