We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Octopus/Malolo/Blue Lagoon - calling recent visitors

Beaumaris, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Octopus/Malolo/Blue Lagoon - calling recent visitors

Hi

It's been over 15 years since I've been to Waya Island. Whilst I camped at Yalobi village on the other side of the island (due to friends' family connection), my memories of Octopus and their beach left an impression. Can't wait to go back with my family but comparing suitability with other nearby islands / similar resorts. Whilst Octopus is my initial choice, our other options are Blue Lagoon and Malolo (splashing out more).

A couple of reviews I've read mention the beach at Octopus to be steep and/or water entry to be rocky. That's not how I recall it, but things (in nature and the human environment) change over time.

As my 5 year old is water confident and is learning to snorkel, I'd like to ensure she can get in and out of the water comfortably without getting coral cuts. As she suffered a bad injury on last tropical holiday to Samoa, I really want her to enjoy a beach where she can get in an enjoy the snorkelling experience without getting ripped up. I understand the tides have some impact here and I'll look them up before locking in travel dates.

Any recent experiences from visitors to these resorts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jamie

Auckland
Level Contributor
2 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Octopus/Malolo/Blue Lagoon - calling recent visitors

I have stayed at a dozen or so resorts in the Fiji Islands with my family (incl two children) over the past 10 years and Blue Lagoon wins hands down. No comparison. Yes it takes longer to get there if you chose the ferry but the resort is small, remote and an authentic Fiji experience and worth taking an extra few hours to get there. I personally didn't enjoy the ferry experience to the resort so for our holiday there next month, I contacted Turtle Airways direct and have booked seaplane transfers and negotiated a very good deal. Someone mentioned that Paradise Cove and Blue Lagoon are too westernised - have to disagree with that. Blue Lagoon has a sand floor restaurant, caters for everyone with a very smart backpackers dormitory to luxury villas. It gives you the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life and if that is what you enjoy, Blue Lagoon is definitely the right place.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Octopus/Malolo/Blue Lagoon - calling recent visitors

Hi Jamie just wondering what you decided? I'm looking at blue lagoon and my 5 yr old sounds like yours. A real water baby and I want her to snorkel easily

13. Re: Octopus/Malolo/Blue Lagoon - calling recent visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, November 23, 2015