We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a day trip to Waya Island... activity suggestions?

West Orange, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning a day trip to Waya Island... activity suggestions?

Hi there,

I'm looking to plan to a day trip to Waya with my girlfriend and wanted to know about activities to partake in while on the island. I'd like to take the Yasawa Flyer there, and it seems like we'll have about 7 hours on the island. I am interested in visiting the island because of its unspoiled nature, the beautiful beaches, and to visit a few Fijian villages.

Could I possibly go to the Octopus resort and pay for some of the activities they offer? The hike from Octopus to Yalobi seems interesting... is there a guide that we can take? Also, I'd like to note that we cannot swim, but would be interested in snorkeling or any boat trips if they were available. Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Richard

5 replies to this topic
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a day trip to Waya Island... activity suggestions?

First thing - you will not have 7 hours on the island. The Yasawa Flyer gets to Octopus around 11 am (having left Denarau Marina at 8.30am.). On the way back, it picks up from Octopus around 3pm - so a maximum of 4 hours there.

Visit a few villages? - there is one village you can access from Octopus - the village of Nalauwaki, which is about a 20 minute walk from the resort, over the hill. It is only possible to visit the village on a guided walk, and they do not go every day, so you would have to check with them which day they go, and whether the timing would fit. Village life is communal, and to wander through on your own would be like a stranger wandering through your house without permission. There are no streets, shops as in a town.

There is no hike from Octopus to Yalobi. There is a track used by locals, but it is a rough track and very steep in places. You would not be able to do that on your own, and in any case it takes several hours.

You would be able to snorkel there - it's very good - the resort has gear available for guests and I'm almost certain you could hire some from them.

There is a beautiful beach, and you could fill your time walking there. I'm not sure of the current system for buying lunch or drinks from the bar - you would have to contact the resort for that.

West Orange, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a day trip to Waya Island... activity suggestions?

Hi,

Thanks for your help. As it is, it doesn't seem prudent to go to Waya for 4 hours and not have much planned. If we were staying at the resort that would be different. I think it would be best for us to book a day cruise at our resort and let them proffer activities for us.

Are there any other islands in the Yasawa or Mamanuca group that you can recommend? I can check and see if there's a day trip there with one of the cruise crompanies.

Thanks again for your help - Richard

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a day trip to Waya Island... activity suggestions?

Waya is the closest of the Yasawa Islands, for an alternative to going out on the Yasawa Flyer you could look at going out on the Octopus boat for more time on the island. That boat leaves Vuda Marina at 9am, takes just over an hour to get there as its a direct trip with no other stops, and the return journey leaves the resort around 4pm. To contact them - email sales@fijidaytrippers.com. They do complimentary transfers to the marina from your hotel, and you get snorkelling equipment, beach towels and lunch included.

Otherwise you would be looking at the Mamanucas for a shorter trip, or there are sailing day trips offered. I don't have contacts for those but they should be easy to find.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a day trip to Waya Island... activity suggestions?

Hello, I just saw your post about Fijidaytrippers.com and wanted to ask you about them. I was looking for an alternative to the Yasawa Flyer because of flight times not fitting and this transfer company seem just the ticket as I'm going to Octopus. I couldn't find any mention of them anywhere else so just want to check that they are ok. They certainly seem to be but just wanting to get another opinion. Thanks. Sarah

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a day trip to Waya Island... activity suggestions?

That is operated by the Octopus group of companies, but it's probably not what you need. Octopus has it's own boat which now does 2 trips a day, first at 9am? (Used to be 10am) and the afternoon one at 2pm. That boat goes from Vuda Marina, north of Nadi - near Lautoka. If you book on that boat they will organise for you to be picked up from the airport in a taxivan and taken there, price included in your boat fare. We've used the service several times as it fitted with our flight arrival times, the boat now goes direct to Octopus and also to their new sister resort Paradise Cove. Email reservations@ftn.net.nz for your bookings.

Reply to: Planning a day trip to Waya Island... activity suggestions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted