We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to capture the beautiful color of sand dune

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
How to capture the beautiful color of sand dune

I'm planning a trip to Namibia this Feb and have already seen lots of stunning pictures of those sand dunes. My question is: is it possible for an automatic camera of even my iphone to capture the beautiful red color of the sand dunes? I suspect those picutures I've seen on books and forums were very likely taken by professionals or more "high-tech" cameras.

2nd question is when's the sunset/sunrise in Feb? I will stay in SDL.

Thanks a lot!

Swakopmund, Namibia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How to capture the beautiful color of sand dune

The Sossusvlei dunes area is so beautiful that you will get good pics even with your cell phone. An automatic camera will also work. But to get professional quality type photos you would need a good digital SLR type camera.

At present sunrise is at about 06h20 and sunset at 19h50. February the sun will rise a little later and set a bit earlier but no big difference.

It is great that you are at Sossus Desert Lodge as it is inside the Namib Naukluft Park and you can then get into the area an hour before sunrise and return an hour after sunset.

You will love it!

Danie Steyn - Namibia Tours & Safaris

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to capture the beautiful color of sand dune

A modern bridge camera will give great results. My old Canon produced great images.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to capture the beautiful color of sand dune

I think the time you take the picture is extremely important, photography is all about lighting...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to capture the beautiful color of sand dune

Hi capital c

Getting good shots of dunes is easy, the area is so photogenic. getting truly great shots though requires practice, skill and good gear. here are a few pointers I give my photographic clients.

- Shoot early in the morning, you need to be ready to go just before sunrise. The best shots are for the first hour after sunrise and then the light gets gradually flatter.

- Bring perspective. Try and put something in the foreground like a tree, animal, human or even vehicle so folks can see just how massive those dunes are. The dead trees at Deadvlei are good for this.

- Angle. You want to shoot with the sun behind you but at a slight angle of say 20 degrees.

- Contrast. Bring as much contrast as you can into the frame so use the blue sky and the white pan.

- Action shots. Shots of people running, jumping or playing on the dunes can be awesome so dont get frustrated with people moving into your shots, see it as an opportunity.

Have fun!

Chris Liebenberg - owner - Piper & Heath Travel

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to capture the beautiful color of sand dune

If you are interested in capturing the desert then have a read here :

…nationalgeographic.com/2011/06/namibia-park…

When it comes to photography i-phone is "style over substance". I am not sure about your level of expertise and of course an SLR/Bridge would give you better result, but you just can't buy the camera a week before your trip and expect to master it in time.

You absolutely do not need a high tech camera for good photography. Your eye behind the camera is way more important than the megapixel count, but a little knowledge always helps.

If you don't want to go down the SLR route and stick to compacts then nowadays there are some amazing compacts which can give any SLR a run for its money.

For example have a look at Sony DSC RX 100 (older model) : actually smaller than average smartphones and captures truly stunning pictures even in auto mode, thanks to its 20 MP and large 1 inch sensor. It is more expensive than usual compacts ( but cheaper than an i-phone) and take photos a million times better than an

i-phone.

And regarding lighting: the golden hour rule applies everywhere: an hour after sunrise and an hour before sunset. In summer the sun would rise up the horizon quicker than winter. Try shooting straight into the sun in late afternoon ( protect your eyes) and you'll be amazed with results.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to capture the beautiful color of sand dune

very helpful. tks a lot. expect to bring back beautiful photos to share in the community

7. Re: How to capture the beautiful color of sand dune

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, December 13, 2016