We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jolly Beach in April-what to expect?

Which Bolans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Honey Brook...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Jolly Beach in April-what to expect?

Can anyone tell me the average temperature in April? Also worried about the sand fleas/flies? Is there a particular time to worry about them? Is Jim Beam offered at Jolly Beach?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
97 reviews
1. Re: Jolly Beach in April-what to expect?

Daytime temperatures in April are in the low to mid 80s (but it can feel a lot hotter in the sun). Rainfall is generally pretty low - it's a nice month to visit.

Sandflies really are not a big deal - just make sure you use good repellent and / or cover your legs in the evening.

NYC metro
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Jolly Beach in April-what to expect?

We visited Antigua first week of April last year and are going approximately the same time this year. The weather couldn't have been better. It was in the 80's -- nice and warm in a good way but never too, too hot (although lots of sunscreen is a must!). We generally didn't even use the A/C in our villa as there was always a decent breeze. We had a bit of rain one night while we slept but I don't even recall a cloud during our 8 days there. We had no issue with sandflies -- but really weren't on the beach in the evenings. Even so -- I 'm sure using a repellant does the trick. In my limited experience you will be happy with the weather at that time of year!

Honey Brook...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Jolly Beach in April-what to expect?

thanks for the information, I can't wait to visit

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
917 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Jolly Beach in April-what to expect?

Before and after dusk and dawn (roughly an hour) is when the sandflies and mosquitos are the worst. Otherwise, it's manageable, but better safe than sorry so you should probably have repellent on during these times and during nights out.

St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
583 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Jolly Beach in April-what to expect?

The trick is to start with repellent on the first late afternoon (not after your evening shower, not when you go down to dinner) but before it gets nearer sunset. People seem to think they will see how they get on without repellent and then surprised when they get bitten and so start using the repellent but have to suffer the irritation from those first bites for half the week. If everyone on this forum keeps telling you to use repellent -then don,t be surprised if you get bitten if you don,t use the repellent! And don,t choose your holiday to try testing out something new- stick to the tried and tested products with a high level of deet.

6. Re: Jolly Beach in April-what to expect?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bolans
Recent Conversations