We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jolly Beach Resort info please

Which Bolans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dartmouth
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jolly Beach Resort info please

I will be staying at Jolly Beach in March. Looking for any advice from previous visitors. Any information that you feel is useful would be appreciated. (dress code, reservations, excursions...really anything!)

Dartmouth
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jolly Beach Resort info please

Another question...will I be able to charge cell phones, Kindle, etc?

Harlem, New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jolly Beach Resort info please

Hi:

I'm from NYC & have ATT I phone. Once I landed in Antigua the phone was going off, with calls from family wishing me happy holidays, & the carrier switched automatically on my phone to local LIME. I never made a call & only received one (waiting to see what this bill will look like) ATT alerted me via text that my data roaming had been turned off & I could turn back on but it would be pretty pricey! I would investigate what international options you have such as a SIM card or Skype. There are loads of options, just do your research (I didn't, just too busy before the holiday) but the NY Times had an article regarding this month in their travel section on 11 ways to save & phone coverage was one of them. I just went with texting & my other half used his another "Antigua" cell phone he rented when their to communicate with his friends & family.

You'll have to pay xtra for a safe lock & beach towels. I went with the safe option & just left a deposit in cash at the front desk. I locked up all my important stuff (small electronics, passport, money, jewlery ect...). I carried my own beach towel so no need to line up everyday at 10:00am with a ticket to get beach towels.

If you're not renting a car, then start checking on other options such as the low cost bus outside the resort or taxi. Bring lots & lots of bug spray or lotion, you wil need it. Put a small one in your bag when at the beach, or at dinner.

Email JBR directly & verify price & room request & use the name of the responder at the front desk when checking in. I snagged a really good rate during a 7 day sale & the rate for the same room increased a couple of days later (during the same sale). I verified, snagged a refurbished room for a lot cheaper than most paid at the resort. Reminded me of booking an flight with the price fluctuations.

I personally liked going to Hemingways for lunch, as the selection was a little better than the grill. Some people said they woke up early to snag a chair on the beach under shade, but I never did. Woke up at a leisurely breakfast & had my better half drag a chair, from the pool area up under some shade that was right next to the vendors (as they have some of the shady areas reserved daily). Same beach, same view, & was never hassled hard. Plus I was close enough to wash off, get a drink & listen to the music.

P.S. Remember if you want a refurbished room, ya gotta ask! Don't leave it up to their discretion.

Hope this helps.

Harlem, New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jolly Beach Resort info please

Oh & one last thing before I go, if you're looking for excursions you have many options. Zip line, bird watching, hiking eco tours & boat/snorkeling.

I would do some research on cruise critics destinations forum, click on Antigua. You can find some options & opinions from people who have done Eli's Eco tour or Adventureantigua or others.

At JBR you have vendors hawking trips on catermarans & horses (horse trips I avoid) & massage services. If you do get a massage look for the vendor Aleck/Alex? He's a reflexologist that's pretty cool & priced well.

Dartmouth
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jolly Beach Resort info please

Thanks, this is great information. Do I need a converter to plug in my electronics? Do I need reservations for the restaurants (other than the buffet)? Do they strictly follow dress codes in the restaurants?

Harlem, New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jolly Beach Resort info please

Your lucky I'm still online lololol.

Bring a converter for your electronics, most of the time I charged stuff at a Villa in Jolly Harbour & I can't say whether one's needed for the room.

Yup...ya gotta make reservations, from what I hear, days in advance, so make sure to do that early the next morning. I never ate at the speciality spots, (too busy having dinner off the resort most nights) but inquire as to what's open & then where & what time the reservations desk opens. Most places look like a dress code when I breezed pass. Keep it simple, shirt, no fip flops & slacks & you'll be fine.

Most times folks were pretty relaxed especially during the day, & a little more put together at night, but then again it was the holiday.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jolly Beach Resort info please

The Indian & seafood restaurants were really good! The Italian/gourmet was my least favourite, but I cook awesome Italian food so might've just been me. They do require reservations.

You do pay to use the safe, but you don't really pay for towels. You just make a deposit that is returned to you when you return your towel card on check out.

I hear they have refurbed some rooms; I would definitely ask for a refurbed one as the "supersaver" room I stayed in left a lot to be desired.

We wandered the beaches a lot, walked (left facing the sea) past Valley Church beach to Dennis's restaurant located cliffside at Ffrye's beach. Tasty lunch in a beautiful setting.

If you're a fan of boats, the island Circumnavigation tour is neat.

A walk in St. John was fun, we went to the fruit market and bought different local fruits yum.

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
355 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jolly Beach Resort info please

Do you know if you can e-mail restaurant reservations for at least two evening meals prior to arrival?

Also, if the room selected does not have a refrigerator, can you request one at additional cost with beer and soda/water?

Sorry to tag into this post, but felt like it was new enough that it would be okay. Thanks in advance!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jolly Beach Resort info please

I don't think you can email reserve dinners. You book them with your room number, and you won't have your room number until check in.

It's been a while, I don't remember about the fridges sorry!

Dartmouth
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jolly Beach Resort info please

What is the the island Circumnavigation tour and how/where do you book it?

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jolly Beach Resort info please

Take a look at your chargers and see if they are "universal", i.e. will they work from 110 Volts as well as 220-240 Volts? Most will these days. If so, all you'll need is a UK to US plug adapter.

Get answers to your questions about Bolans