We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glitter Bay

arome
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Glitter Bay

Has anyone stayed at the Glitter Bay complex? We were trying to decide if we should get two Villas or combine the two families and get a large villa at Sandy Lane Estates? Traveling with children 3 to 7.

Mentioned in this post
Glitter Bay Suites
Glitter Bay Suites
73 Reviews
Barbados
Sandy Lane Hotel
Sandy Lane Hotel
913 Reviews
Barbados
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Glitter Bay

One thing I think visitors don't understand is that in Barbados when a hurricane warning is given the visitors are given the option of a flight home as the country does shut down so that vital equipment doesn't get damaged with the weather system.

With Tropical Storm Tomas we had no warning and I have lived through Hurricanes Ivan and Lilly and Tomas was much much worse than both of those it was really frightening and lasted so much longer. So it really was very unfortunate that you were in Barbados to experience this system and as was said earlier Barbados really is lucky to have not had the devastation that St Lucia had and you should be so thankful that we are all here to tell the tale of that weekend. We have to be resource full in situations like that just to survive them and stay safe. Whats a few inconviences at least we have our lives!!!

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Glitter Bay

In defense of the people of Barbados I have been through a few hurricanes and a couple evacuations at my own home. Tourists need to show some compassion for the residents of Barabdos, their families, and what they have to cope with during a storm like this. When someone's home and family are about to be ripped apart their allegiance would understandably shift in that direction and they may become preoccupied with that. What happened to the island was beyond anyone's control and if anything the tourists should be lending a hand where they can and show some understanding. To be complaining about not having matches for the grill is absurd under the circumstances. Go find your own matches.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
NJ
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Glitter Bay

I did talk to Tony and posibly joe? (someone had the injured leg?) the bottom line was that the people in the complex were not contacted - we had to find people to ask questions of and were not getting good information from staff because staff weren't given info either.

We had fend for ourselves. recall the power went out friday night/early saturday morning. a generator on tuesday running the pumps and the ice machine??. Was there any messages about water pressure, what should we do? we asked about the hot water - was it gas or electric so would it run out, and no one knew the answer to that simple question..

The point is that we had to find people and ask around to find out what was being done. No one knocked on any doors to check on anyone, no signs were posted. There was at least a phone, however Once the computers were running no one could use them except staff to do what ever it is they do all day. You should have checked and identified what units were rented and find out the status of those units. that is what management does.

And i understand completely that depending on your condo owner had a lot to do with what supplies you had. That is a debate to have with the owner of your condo, not management.

when did the real power come back on line? our owner claimed it was tuesday afternoon, which i find very hard to believe considering the state of the tree, fence and pole at lunchtime (no crews.)

As i said, the place was really nice the location, the beach, but i am sorry your customers/owners did not get the servcie they deserve no matter how you slice it. a little communication goes a long way. If i hadn't walked around and looked for someone who appeared to be in charge, we'd have no information. And it's true, a match by the grill would have helped. if you didn't have matches in your condo, you couldn't light the grill!!!!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Glitter Bay

I've read the above comments and from my perspective Glitter Bay and/or the management companies involved definitely missed doing their job. Barbados has a department of emergency management which has this information for everyone to follow - http://www.dem.gov.bb/pages/whattodo.html. I wonder how many people actually do this.

As far as warnings are concerned, we here in Canada knew Tomas was approaching Barbados in the afternoon.

According to a Barbados gov't site, they issued a Tropical storm warning at 5pm, which was upgraded to a hurricane warning at 11pm. So from 5 pm they couldn't get their emergency shelters opened? How complicated can that be, these shelters are usually in churches. Their emergency preparedness wasn't very prepared. It's not as if this type of weather is a total surprise to the caribbean. Barbados is very lucky that they didn't experience the full force of the hurricane.

Yes, we all understand when an event such as this happens people are concerned about their own families, but hotels must provide adequate protection and information to their clients. They should not be abandoned to fend for themselves.

One of the comments I read was that they didn't get a generator till Tuesday?!! That IMO is totally unacceptable.

They should have at least one on site at all times for this type of situation.

Before anyone gets too upset with my comments, yes I do have an emergency kit even here in Canada. In our case we've usually had power outages and lack of heat because of snow storms, so we're prepared for that, and yes, we do have hurricane straps on the roof of our condo in Barbados, and we have matches & candles & water and canned food.

I certainly hope a lesson was learned here by the relevant government departments and the hotels and management companies that did not provide for their clients.

Edited: 12:30 pm, December 27, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Glitter Bay Suites
Glitter Bay Suites
73 Reviews
Barbados
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
15. Re: Glitter Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, June 26, 2011