We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please encourage the restaurants to stop using styrofoam

Dominica
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Please encourage the restaurants to stop using styrofoam

I won't go back again until they stop using styrofoam and plastic. Everything was disposable and it really spoiled it for me. The food was great and so were the drinks but nothing tastes as good off plastic. More importantly, the place was very busy and I know they were making enough money to provide a few jobs washing dishes for the unemployed . And think of how much less garbage would need to burried as a result if they would just buy some real tableware.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,206 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please encourage the restaurants to stop using styrofoam

What place? What are you talking about, one place, all places?

dorval
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please encourage the restaurants to stop using styrofoam

Maxim,

I'll notify the powers that be that you won't be attending the festivities. You have the right to voice your opinion, but for the life of me, I can't understand how you can actually taste plastic, or styrofoam. Yes, it would be great if we could eliminate both in this world, but, they've been designed for a purpose and the Fish Fry is only taking advantage of just that. If you're the type that takes bone China, silverware and crystal to a picnic, then I suppose you'd better leave the Fish Fry to others who titillate their palate with all the goodies Oistins Fish Fry has to offer. Sorry you won't be back.........

Paragon 140

Dominica
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please encourage the restaurants to stop using styrofoam

I can't remember the name of the restaurant I ate at but it was highly recommended and a prominent one. I walked around after my meal and all I saw was styrofoam being used. There may be some places where they use china but I didn't see any.

Dominica
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please encourage the restaurants to stop using styrofoam

No, I'm not the type who requires bone china etc. I'm just someone who thinks about the environment and also jobs for the unnemployed.

dorval
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please encourage the restaurants to stop using styrofoam

Maxim,

I was thinking Fish Fry as there's not many restaurants in Oistins. A few rum shops, KFC, and a cafe, so it would be interesting, as Canby has stated, to "what place" you're talking about. Maybe you could pinpoint the location and that might help. Maybe if others followed your direction, the restaurant in question might change their ways. For me? I can't taste plastic. Good luck with your endeavors.

Paragon 140

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,910 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please encourage the restaurants to stop using styrofoam

Maxim, it benefits no one unless we know what restaurant. If you are talking about Oistins, as in the fish fry on Friday nights, each of those places there are independently owned, each doesn't have a place right at their establishment to eat and they would have have to collectively purchase and hope no one breaks or steals plates and silverware.

I feel certain there are places like this in Dominica (although it's known as the nature isle) that use the same type of styrofoam and plastic.

I wouldn't eat off of anything else there, quit frankly, because honestly if it were the real deal, I couldn't guarantee it was washed or cleaned properly. (hopefully it would be).

and.. if you want the real deal, expect to pay much more than what you paid.. trust me on this one.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,830 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please encourage the restaurants to stop using styrofoam

Well said Sunni I have to say that in 18 years I have never seen Styrofoam used in any "high end " retaurant.. The mind boggles at the thought of Styrofoam at Champers or Tides or the Cliff lol

warwickshire uk
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please encourage the restaurants to stop using styrofoam

Hi all i would like to say is let us all go back to the old days and carry a calabash around with us and please dont say what that we can even eat off a banana leaf .

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Please encourage the restaurants to stop using styrofoam

Styrofoam is apparently very bad for you, though I imagine the effects are minimal if you eat the food right away as opposed to storing it in the container for a while. But until another low-cost option is widely avaialble, I don't see how you're going to avoid styrofoam entirely in take-out situations (which most Oistins restaurants are).

Dominica
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please encourage the restaurants to stop using styrofoam

This wasn't a 'take-out' situation. I was sitting down eating at the restaurant along with dozens of other people.

Get answers to your questions about Oistins
Recent Conversations