We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What drugs are the barbados bus drivers on?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What drugs are the barbados bus drivers on?

Tonight I saw a bus pass the fish pot at I'd say 55 to 60 mph which in that area seems off the radar speed for a big bus. Then a few mins later the same deal a bus flying down the road so much so that if any one made a step in the wrong direction they would be history. Is there a speed limit in barbados? If there is what speed should the bus be going?

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What drugs are the barbados bus drivers on?

We have been on a few hair raising rides in Barbados , but if you want to be really scared , try an Italian bus on the Amalfi coast . We got the water taxi back even though I'm notorious for being seasick . It was the better option .

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
15,086 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What drugs are the barbados bus drivers on?

think this is partially caused by the non Govt owned - (private) "yellow" buses - the more passengers they can pick up, the more money they make, -private enterprise - so they speed to get ahead of the "competition", either other "yellow" buses -or blue Govt buses - the result can be as mentioned - quite a 'fast' ride particularly going around bends on narrow roads, also used by cars, trucks, vans, cyclists, etc..... but it can be entertaining... if a little boisterous!

Edited: 7:27 am, March 16, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What drugs are the barbados bus drivers on?

It is not just the "ZR's or the yellow buses, the government buses also travel far faster than is safe on these roads.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What drugs are the barbados bus drivers on?

There is very little done to apply speed limit laws. Hence the numerous serious and fatal accidents. Driving by some is not just about getting from A to B but is a "sport" of survival of the luckiest. No drugs just attitude.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,401 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What drugs are the barbados bus drivers on?

Yes the big blue transport buses can be just as bad. We didn't have any problems with ZRs on the last visit - the driving was okay and we won't get on if they are too crowded. Those little yellow buses often travel way too fast. There are many accidents on Highway 1 on the west coast. Something needs to be done to enforce the speed limit. Car drivers are very courteous in my experience but those buses ......

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What drugs are the barbados bus drivers on?

I have been told by a local that not all of the yellow buses are insured. That is one reason why school kids ride free on the blue buses and also because of the type of music some of the yellow buses play. So if you are in an accident on a yellow bus... good luck. Not all of them have crazy drivers just the majority.

Edited: 8:29 am, March 16, 2014
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What drugs are the barbados bus drivers on?

121EatsandSleeps

As someone who lives very close to the Fish Pot I can assure you that speeding buses is the norm. Both public and private forms of transport do it. It's all part of our culture. :D

Regards

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,401 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What drugs are the barbados bus drivers on?

It's not one of the better aspects of Bajan culture though, BGI.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What drugs are the barbados bus drivers on?

Hahaha!

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What drugs are the barbados bus drivers on?

Yes, one of the more shameful aspects of the local "culture", or lack of culture in this case. Disregard for human life in the extreme, it's nothing short of a disgrace. So many of these drivers have had dozens and dozens of citations for speeding/ dangerous driving etc and yet they are allowed back on the road until the kill someone. Just look at the papers lately and you'll see how common this is. These people should be off the roads, they're a danger to the public and not representative of anything "cultural" of this lovely island.