We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Panwa Hotel Pool Renovations / Closure in June

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Panwa Hotel Pool Renovations / Closure in June

I am after a bit of advice.

We are booked into the CPH for a couple of weeks from late May. I have just read on their website (they didn't notify me) that their main pool and adjacent Cafe Andaman will be closed for reno's from 1st June.

I am really concerned that this will impact negatively on our holiday, as we are planning on spending the vast majority of our time at the hotel in & around the pool, drinking cocktails, etc - basically a typical resort holiday.

My question is how badly will this closure impact on our holiday enjoyment - what are the other 2 pools like and are they likely to be packed with the main pool closed. Should we consider staying elsewhere in Phuket?

Many thanks for any responses.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Panwa Hotel Pool Renovations / Closure in June

I have been to CP in past years when rooms and the breakfast area were being renovated and and it had hardly any impact on my stay. Noise was minimal and kept to reasonable hours. I think the pool must be the last place at the hotel to be renovated now and as some complain about it ( I liked it) I guess they have no choice but to do it.

I know the loss of the main pool sounds bad but the beach is the best spot in my opinion where there is a great little bar and cafe for drinks of all sorts and food. There are 2 smaller pools also at the beach, both nice (one has a whirlpool). There is also a pool on top of the newer Junior suite block but I havent seen/used it. June is a quieter time/low season and I have never seen anywhere crowded, in fact rather peaceful everywhere.

Lots of other places to eat both in the hotel and just outside plus from reading their webpage they are offering free BBQ's and trips to make up for the disruption. As a fan of CP I would still go but maybe email the hotel if you are concerned?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Panwa Hotel Pool Renovations / Closure in June

Thanks Georgette,

Your response to my query was terrific & certainly makes me feel a little better.

Thanks heaps :-)

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Panwa Hotel Pool Renovations / Closure in June

Don't forget that you may not be able to go into the ocean. It is a dangerous time for rips. We were at horizon karon hotel in Oct last year. The day after we got there they started jack hammering the pool and it was all closed off. The noise was horrendous and the pool area that was left was very crowded. We were upgraded to the club wing which had it's own pool.Personally I always email a hotel in advance to find out if any renovations are planned. June is off season and that is when they renovate. I wouldn't ruin my chilled out holiday on a hotel with renovations taking place.

Linda

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Panwa Hotel Pool Renovations / Closure in June

The ocean at Panwa can not be compared to Karon. No rips at Panwa, safe seas year round, but not very nice seas.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Panwa Hotel Pool Renovations / Closure in June

ohhh ok thanks Steven

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Panwa Hotel Pool Renovations / Closure in June

Yes the ocean at Cape Panwa is always calm, though it is tidal so at certain times of the day the coral is exposed and not much swimming to be had, but the hotel leaves "best swimming times" cards in your room so you can plan your day around it. I have always found the water and beach at CP lovely. The whole area is very quiet and peaceful. Perfect for lazing around with a Singha or cocktail in hand.

Nottingham, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Panwa Hotel Pool Renovations / Closure in June

Hi guys! I too am going to CP on 18th June for our Honeymoon.

Luckily, my Mum has been several times so I got some advise from her on how she thought this would impact on our holiday & what we wanted from it. She did raise the concern that due to the 'main' pool being closed, the other one available (apparently quite small) would obviously gain extra crowds and may therefore not provide the relaxing atmosphere my partner & I were expecting.

Although the compensatory gestures listed from the hotel sound great, to me this creates even more worry as they clearly know this will be quite a large renovation, will no doubt cause a lot of customers hassle, and therefore are wanting to send as many visitors away from the hotel to avoid such disruption.

I have only received my letter today with the info & will call Kuoni on Monday morning to get further advise.

Having such interference on a normal holiday is bad enough, but I don't think I could compromise on a Honeymoon that ought to be stress free & faultless.

Other advise welcome?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Panwa Hotel Pool Renovations / Closure in June

Hi Shell,

We made the decision to split our Phuket stay in two - the 1st half at the CPH, then on June 1st we are checking into a Pool Villa at the Sala Resort & spa in the north west of the island. So hopefully we will avoid all the disruption.

We wish you & your fiance a wonderful wedding, and a terrific honeymoon.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Panwa Hotel Pool Renovations / Closure in June

Hi there

There is another pool near the beach at the Panwa Lodge plus a rooftop one in the new junior suites (havent seen that one) but personally the beach is the best spot to me. I just planned my days around when it was best to swim, did trips or visited the spa when the tide was out.

I do believe the hotel will do all it can to make your stay enjoyable despite the renovations but it is your honeymoon so I totally understand your worries and personally if worried I would maybe look for somewhere else in Phuket...I would hate the thought your special trip was spolit.

Have you emailed the hotel and expressed your worries as its a honeymoon? You never know they might offer something extra special..worth asking anyway

Regards

Georgette

Nottingham, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Panwa Hotel Pool Renovations / Closure in June

Thanks everyone!

I haven't yet contacted the hotel but will most likely do over the next couple of days.

The worry of making sure a wedding goes to plan is stressful enough & I don't think I could sit in antisipation on a 12 hour flight wondering what would await us at the hotel!

Thanks for all the advise guys - I'm sure all will get resolved & we'll have an amazing break.

Will keep you informed!