We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Changer & Duty Free Bangkok or Phuket?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Money Changer & Duty Free Bangkok or Phuket?

Transiting from UK through Bangkok to Phuket; would appreciate any input as to whether it is better to change cash in Bangkok or Phuket? Not sure if official Thailand entry is in Bangkok or transit lnge to entry Phuket., have 90min wait. Someone also mentioned buying duty free upon entry, are customs hot on allowance?..Many thanks.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Changer & Duty Free Bangkok or Phuket?

It'll make little or no difference where you exchange;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

If customs catch you over the limit, you could well find yourself in a world of hurt, for your own sake, stick to the limits;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133772/Thail…

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Changer & Duty Free Bangkok or Phuket?

Wow that was quick !

Many thanks for advice, nothing beats local knowledge

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Changer & Duty Free Bangkok or Phuket?

Hi,

In the past I have also bought from the local supermarket 7/11 in Cape Panwa as I like a G&T while watching the sunset and found the price reasonable for a litre bottle 400b. There is a money exchange place in Cape Panwa but it only opened a few hours in the evening. I always get my taxi driver to take me to an exchange place on my way to Cape Panwa they always oblige.

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,499 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Changer & Duty Free Bangkok or Phuket?

If you are not going through transit at Bangkok i.e. your luggage is not checked through, you can't buy Duty Free on arrival there and take it out through Customs then back through for your Phuket flight unless you pack it in your checked in luggage in between. If you are transiting there is a small Duty Free on arrival at Phuket nera the luggage carousel but the stock is limited. The stock is premium brands and more expensive than non-premium brands at local supermarkets but similarly priced to premium brands at the likes of Carrefours in Patong or Tesco Lotus on the by-pass road. Depends where you are staying.

There are also ATMs in the Arrivals Hall at Phuket.

Edited: 1:30 pm, May 08, 2010
5. Re: Money Changer & Duty Free Bangkok or Phuket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:30 am, November 05, 2010