We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Bophut

london
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Bophut

Hi.. We have booked flights to Thailand in March and 4 nights in Koh Phangan but yet to book the rest of the holiday in Koh Samui. I love the sound of Bophut/fishermans village and have been looking at smile house.

I understand the beach at Bophut is not the best on the island but is it still a nice beach? (remember I am from the UK so used to european beaches!) and can you swim outside the smile house. If not is there anywhere close to Bophut with a better beach but easy to get in to Fishermans Village ? I dont fancy Chaweng/Lamai.

Thank you !

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Bophut

I've spent plenty of time swimming in Bophut. Yes, the sand is coarse (still better than UK beaches) but the water was lovely. You can swim almost outside the resort you mention, maybe a little further away towards the Hansar. The two are about 3 mins walk apart.

Smile House is in an excellent location for quick easy access to the Fisherman's village.

Edited: 6:00 am, July 03, 2012
london
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Bophut

Thank you !... just one more question. Do you think we are better off in the smile house or the Ibis. I see they are both walking distance to the resturants/bars but which has the better beach. Hansar looks lovely but a bit to expensive for us as we have spent all out budjet in Koh Phangan!!

Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Bophut

The Ibis is further away from the restaurants and bars. I think the beach might be a little better outside Smile house but you could just toss a coin? You'll have a great time at either.

liverpool
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Bophut

Hey, We have just come back from Samui, this was are 4th visit but the 1st time we went to Bophut, an we loved it, there is some lovely hotels right on the beach, there is also lovely restaurants and bars, we thought the beach was ok, they also have a walking market on a friday which was really good with a great atmosphere.

When we go back to the island we will definately visit here again.

Hope you have a fab time. x

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Bophut

Just got back from bophut a couple of days ago, stayed in the ibis. It's a very nice hotel with a couple of small pools. It's about a ten minute stroll to the village. The beach isn't amazing anywhere along there because the sand is tough on ur feet. One tip, don't eat at the smile house...the food is poor.

london
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Bophut

Thanks everyone.. Still not booked! Christos I will have another look at the Ibis. Was the rooms comfy I stayed at an Ibis in the UK and it was like sleeping on a plank of wood!

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Bophut

The beds were hard but I love hard beds!!! The air con is amazing though....

UK
Level Contributor
142 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on Bophut

I did BoPhut last year....its very touristy in an upmarket way, you don't feel like you are seeing the real Thailand, but it is nice if that is what you are after.

I agree with other posters about the market - that was definitely the highlight of the trip there for me.

I would say the beaches are disappointing really, they aren't really what you expect for a Thai beach I don't think, but that shouldn't put you off its still a lovely holiday destination.

london
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on Bophut

Thanks Sarah.. I also assume it is not far from other beaches we can spend the day at?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on Bophut

Hi Julie

Smile House has Thai style villas in a beautiful garden setting whereas Ibis is an international hotel chain. It depends what style accommodation you prefer - I can recommend Smile House, it is really good value and perfect position with 2 good pools. We also found the beach over the road to be quite good. Nice shady trees and comfy lounge chairs and close to the fruit vendors and restaurants, bars etc.

Get answers to your questions about Bophut