We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st. Timer traveller to koh samui

Stornoway, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
1st. Timer traveller to koh samui

Hi my husband and I are holidaying at the peace resort Bo phut nxt April for two weeks. As this will be our 1st time to Thailand , I would love to have anyone's tips , places to eat places to visit . Any things we should avoid too. We are in our late 40s so not really into the nightclub scene but at the same time I don't want to be drinking in a funeral parlour , if you know what I mean . Also any things and dangers we should be aware off. We are traveling straight from the uk and had been told it is best to get our currency when we arrive. Do we bring cash travellers cheques or just use our debit card at an ATM. ( sorry for my long list ) , many thanx , mrs T

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,952 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st. Timer traveller to koh samui

You will need cash especially in small restaurants and shops/market stalls. Bring either sterling travellers cheques or cash as you will get a better exchange rate when you arrive. Bophut is lovely, although not the best beach on the island, but still nice and accommodation tends to be more upmarket along this beach. There are lovely restaurants and bars in Fisherman's Village (Bophut's main area), some nice bars right on the beach.

Fisherman's Village has a walking market on Friday nights that's worth looking at. Think about taking some tours or visiting one of the neighbouring islands of Koh Phangan or Koh Tao. The Friendly Frog in Bophut, just as you enter Fisherman's Village is great, looks like someones front room and it basically is, but the food is good and cheap.

Stornoway, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st. Timer traveller to koh samui

Thank you , just checked out the freindly frog on trip advisor , I think we will deffinatly try that one out. , I know there is alot on T/A about KS but you could read forever more , it's just nice to get recomdations first hand . Thanx again . Mrs T xx

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st. Timer traveller to koh samui

Hi there! My husband and I will be at Peace Resort at the beginning of January! It is our first time as well so I was taking a peak to see what the suggestions were :) When I'm done my trip I will be sure to post a review of this hotel and the area :)

Have a great trip!

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st. Timer traveller to koh samui

There are loads of great restaurants in Bophut, Smile House for Thai food and The Shack for great steaks were two of our particular favourites.

There are some fairly lively bars in the village but it's not what you'd call rowdy.

Don't worry about the beach, when people say it's not the best beach, they mean by Thai standards, by British standards it's fabulous.

We take cash with us, it's easy to change and only use the ATM if absolutely necessary as you are charged 150Baht ( approx £3 ) every timeyou withdraw money besides what the bank back home charges.

Have a great time.

Aldo

Edited: 7:53 am, November 16, 2011
Stornoway, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st. Timer traveller to koh samui

Thanx so much, enjoy your trip in January , your flight must be a long one too. My father lives in Calgary so I know how far it is. The weather should also be good too. I did a fair bit of research and every one is saying its worth upgrading to a duluxe bungalow or even better. I have booked a sea breeze villa so I do hope it's good. Looking forward to hearing about your travels. Not long to go before you go , you must be really looking forward to it now.

Regards

Mrs Taggart xx

Stornoway, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st. Timer traveller to koh samui

Thank you Aldo,

For you recommendations. I think we will take cash and some travellers cheques aswell as our debit n credit card. As for the bars , as we there for a while we will no doubt try them out.

Regards

Mrs Taggart xx

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,712 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st. Timer traveller to koh samui

Hi

Another great guide to places to eat is go where there are lots of folks. I prefer Chaweng (we are ust a bit older than you) as the choice of places to eat is greater, we also like cheap eats! Always eat food that is prepared freshly for you and arrives at your table piping hot (not tepid)

We hire a car and just drive. You will find lots of maps on your arrival at the airport which are a great guide. The popular things to see are in the THINGS TO DO and trave guides to the left of this page <----, you might want to go up a level to Koh Samui rather than the Bop Hut forum for some great information. The FAQs ---> are a really good read as well.

Avoid the touts offering scratch cards, but don't avoid the laby boy shows!! Personally I love drinking in a Funeral Directors (but hey thats me) but the bars offer a scene for everyone, from the small ones in the quieter areas (which we love) to the busy ones in central Chaweng (which we love)!! You will find bars everywhere!

If you hire a car do get an international licence (from AA or RAC), as even whilst your hire company might not ask for it, if stopped by the police you will be!! It is an offence for a fareng to drive without their international driving licence. Carry a copy of your passport, just in case as well.

100% get your Baht when you get there. What to bring is a very personal thing, but as you won't be flying directly, and well be going by Bangkok why not change some sterling up in Bangkok Airport where the rates are normally better than the UK, and then you can use your ATM / debit card to withdraw money as you go when in samui. There is a 150thb charge per withdrawal from ATMS (and your bank may make other charges) but if you get out the max (10,000thb) each time you will minimse costs. Do tell your bank before you travel for each card, and do take a contact number just in case your bank does block your card. We use our Credit card for larger purchases, hotels, car rental etc, and never had any issues or problems - other than Barclays forgetting to unblock one card!!

Have fun, and enjoy

from just the otherside of the Linc / Nor boarder!!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,712 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st. Timer traveller to koh samui

PS as for things to do our list would be

Big Budda, Temples, mummified monks, snorkelling, Koh Tao, Koh Phanang, 5 islands beaches, but if you just drive you will find lots of stuff!!

Also meant to say JBR / trip reports / just back reports are a great source of information . . .

Stornoway, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st. Timer traveller to koh samui

Thanks for that traveling Mitch .

I had no idea that you had to get an international driving permit. But how safe is it to drive out there really as iv herd some horror stories and I'd hate to be one of those Statistics !!!

Good idea on getting money out at Bangkok airport .

I'm not really fussed in going to see a ladyboy show , but while in Rome n all that , are they good fun or is it more like a strip club ?

Regards

Mrs Taggart

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st. Timer traveller to koh samui

KS is safe to drive around, just keep your wits about you as you would at home. We don't drive through the main part of Chaweng but apart from that it is fine and the best way to see the more out of the way parts of the island. As for the lady boys, they are definitely not strip shows - more like cheesy cabaret acts! We took our 13 year old daughter to Starz in Chaweng and there was nothing offensive at all. Entry is free but you have to pay 200b for your first drink. We got cocktails which were great and very strong. definitely worth a look :)