We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Samui taxi/songthaew drivers are very rude

Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Samui taxi/songthaew drivers are very rude

I love my travel within Thailand. I especially loved my stay in ChiangMai. Travel was very cheap there and 20BHT per ride in songthaew. Sometimes you have to bargain if you want to go far but the drivers had a smile on their face all the time.

Now that I am in Samui, I find the drivers asking for ridiculous prices, 100-200bht for a short ride. When you try to bargain they look away. I think this is due limited # of taxis and songthaews in Samui. They start charging ridiculous prices if the weather is bad or late at night, leaving tourist stranded. I might reconsider coming to Samui again due to this reason.

There are many places in Thailand where they appreciate tourist. Next time I might consider Bali as an alternative.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ko Samui taxi/songthaew drivers are very rude

butting the fares on here would be a good idea so feel free if you know them?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ko Samui taxi/songthaew drivers are very rude

You are charged $4.20 CA the second you get in a Toronto taxi. 100-200 Baht seems quite fair to me.

13. Re: Ko Samui taxi/songthaew drivers are very rude

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, October 08, 2012